cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Guru
Guru
Message 11 of 20

Re: Can anyone help with my broad band issue please?

@Essexdreamer

What exchange and cabinet, if you are connected to one, are you on? You can check by going to https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

As your area may be under a BDUK broadband programme.

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 20

Thanks jac, I am on the Roothing Exchange.

I have an engineer due out this morning, I will let you know what they say.

With regards to the contract, surely as the broadband only actually started "working" on the 8th of this month as opposed the the 26th when the phone line went live I can still cancel if this speed is as good as it gets?

I only got the landline as I needed it to get broadband, so if I can't get a broadband signal I don't need any of it.

Surely if the product can't be used its not fit for purpose? I really don't want to pay for something for a year that I cannot even use.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 20

did you not check the speed you would get before placing the order
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 20

Hi John, yes I did check, the BT website said I should get a speed of around 1 meg which I know is bad but would have been enough for what I needed it for. The checker said between 0.750 to 2.5m with an estimated speed of 1 meg.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 20

Ok as you can see from the results of the BT wholesale checker you are only able to get around .5mb and that is the checker all ISPs use when taking orders
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 20

unfortunately the service is fit for purpose unfortunately you are just a long way from the exchange and it is that that is causing your low speed
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 20

Hi John,  as I didn't know about the wholesale checker at the time and used the BT website checker then I don't think I can be blamed for expecting a speed near their estimate?

Also as I am not even able to browse the internet effectively, what good is the service? And surely theres a cool down period if I am not happy as a consumer with the service I've received.

Also, the engineer visited this morning and said my speed is 0.38mbps and theres nothing we can do.

If anyone has any experience with cancelling a contract with BT i'd be grateful for any advice.

Thanks

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 20

the only cool off period ends when your service goes live all you can do is try and cancel but you may be charged
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 20

Yes, the phone line went live on the 26th but we had to wait for an engineer to come out on the 8th to activate the broadband as there was an issue at the exchange. So even if there is a seven day cool off I should be able to cancel today.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 20

you can try not sure they will let you off free though
0 Ratings