cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
UrbanGrunt
Expert
Message 1 of 6

Can anyone recommend a router that costs under £50 for use with infinity?

I have tried out both the type A and type B homehubs and both present me with problems. I don’t feel like trying out another homehub3 as it’s a waste of money for BT and feel like I’d try out a cheap 3rd party one first. Could anyone suggest/recommend a router that’s under £50.00 that works with infinity and also has gbit port and wifi.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
P4PERTR4iL
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: Can anyone recommend a router that costs under £50 for use with infinity?

i hate the homehub 3 too it's a POS, it lacks standard features.

buy the dlink dir-615 & update it with dd-wrt firmware, you can get them for about £5-10

the wireless is pretty decent too just no 5ghz wifi which won't matter to most devices as they don't support 5ghz.

0 Ratings
UrbanGrunt
Expert
Message 3 of 6

Thanks for that, I'll look into it!

0 Ratings
ianm42
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 6

@P4PERTR4iL wrote:

i hate the homehub 3 too it's a POS, it lacks standard features.

buy the dlink dir-615 & update it with dd-wrt firmware, you can get them for about £5-10

the wireless is pretty decent too just no 5ghz wifi which won't matter to most devices as they don't support 5ghz.

Except that a lot of the cheap routers can't cope with even the "slow speed" 40Mb/s routing, yet alone the 80Mb/s Infinity 2. I think someone tested the HH3 (and HH2) and found it coped absolutely fine up to about 90Mb/s routing (and OR modem fine to 103Mb/s), but most cheap ethernet routers max out at 30Mb/s as really only designed to be connected to ADSL2+ lines of 24Mb/s max.

My Linksys WRT54G running DD-WRT maxes out to 100% cpu usage at only 25-30Mb/s odd. This is real Mb/s (via torrents) and not speedtest results. Swap back to HH2 (in my case) and torrents jump up to 72Mb/s odd. I also get 72MB/s with my Draytek 2750, which is good to 100Mb/s routing according to data sheet.

__
Contributor
Message 5 of 6

I think the dir-615 only has 10/100 WAN/LAN ports.

Probably only an issue with with faster Infinity 2 speeds but if faster Internal LAN speeds are required then maybe a router with 1Gbit NIC would be better. 

Graeme
0 Ratings
ianm42
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 6

Dug out my notes I made before choosing the Draytek 2750. Many ethernet routers max out at 30Mb/s.

The DIR-615 is not man enough for even 40Mb/s, the give away the 10/100 WAN/LAN ports. You need the DIR-665 or DIR-655 which have Gb ports and enough power to be able to route @ 40/80 Mb/s.

0 Ratings