cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Can anyone with a BT Smart HH6 test if mp games are laggy??

I recently got the HH6 which has maintained connection for 10 days now - which is great.

I mentioned in another thread that I noticed games lag on both PS4 and Xbox One. This happens whenever another device on the same private network is using the upload bandwidth.

I've spoken to a friend with the HH5 and he does not have this issue. I had him play Rocket League online and run the speedtest app on his mobile phone and his ping went up from 20 to 40 during the upload phase.

The point of the speedtest.net app is just for test sake, in theory any upload from another device causes the same high ping and game lag, whether it be a Skype call or uploading a video to Facebook, YouTube, etc.

Now, when I try the same on the Smart Home Hub 6 my ping shoots up to 500+ and the game is not playable at all.

I'd like to hear from any other Smart Hub 6 owners here, and whether you get the same high ping as me during online games, or if your game continues to play fine??

Doesn't have to be Rocket League, any mp game will do, you can tell if it plays fine or if it's lagging terribly.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: Can anyone with a BT Smart HH6 test if mp games are laggy??

I have the HH6 on infinity 1, and counter strike source never lags, usually about 5-10ms ping on european servers.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 9

@Venomx Ok, but can you confirm that is the case if you are uploading from another device on your same private network? Like running the speedtest.net app or similar from a mobile for example.

A HH5 friend says this does not make a big impact, his ping only increases 5-10 and his game is perfectly playable. 

For me, on the Smart HH6, my game ping goes upto 500+ while the speedtest app is running on another device.

I'm just trying to establish if that's normal behaviour for the Smart HH6 or not. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 4 of 9

Well in theory if you are using up nearly all of your bandwidth on a speedtest it will slow down your connection whilst gaming
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 9

@Venomx Yeah, I understand that. That's not the case with the HH5 though. Can you take a few minutes and run the test on your HH6 please.

If yours is the same result as my HH6, I will then assume that this is normal for this model and can rule out any other faults. I'll just have to consider a third-party router.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

If this helps I can confirm that on my Xbox one GOW 4 lags dreadfully. I have the Smart hub and Infinity 1, I can run a network check on my Xbox and get 1.5mbps 1 minute then 8mbps the next, then back to 1mbps all with a latency of 250+, yet running a check on my phone, iPad, BT app I am getting 20-25mbps and <50 ping, most times.

I do note I am yet to find I achieve the minimum gurantee of 35mbps on anything so I am at a loss, but given all else runs without issue except for the MP on Xbox One, I have to consider this may well be a gaming console to hub issue, but I am not sufficiently knowledgeable to give any more technical details. All I know is I have had Infinity and the hub a week and it's driving me nuts, it was better online gaming with my Technicolor free router from the ISP running on a line supporting a 2-5mbps service!!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 7 of 9

i can confirm this is normal on hub 6 i get the same thing ping goes nuts in games if anyone else is uploading,but like you say it does not happen as bad with the hub 5 which i consider to be a good router but needs the ipv6 activating and then it will be a lot better than hub 6.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Thanks, that's just the answer I was looking for - so it is normal for the HH6.

If I find it becomes frequently disruptive to online play I will be forced to buy a new router with QoS.

Most others in the household primarily use the downstream for YouTube, Netflix etc. It may be an issue for Skype calls up-streaming, which may force my hand.to make a purchase

I've been very pleased with the HH6 the past 12 days. It's remained connected with no drops since setting it up. Prior to this, all six Hub 5's I had dropped connection everyday.

The HH6 frustratingly dropped connection today (day 12), flashing purple and then orange before reconnecting. Anyone know if that is cause for concern, or normal for this to happen every 2 weeks or so?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 9 of 9

@Biotic-blue Your issue sounds incredibly frustrating. I was having connection drops very frequently that was driving me up the wall which sounds about as annoying as your issue.

You say it's just your Xbox having these speed issues, and all other devices are fine? If that's the case it doesn't sound like a BT or Hub issue to me. If your Xbox is wired have you tried another port on the router, also try another ethernet cable if you have a spare, just to rule out a dodgy cable.

The network tests on the Xbox should indicate if there are other problems, such as moderate or strict NAT types.

If you haven't done so already I'd recommend creating your own thread, and detail if devices are fine, and if it's just the Xbox you have speed issues with, then detail how you have it connected and what troubleshooting steps you've tried.

If all other devices are fine my gut would be that it's wireless interference if you're on WiFi, maybe try channel and even splitting the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz band and try it on each. A wired connection is always going to be preferred though.

If you are wired, I would also try disabling the WiFi entirely just to rule out out other users hogging your bandwidth as a cause for game lag and high ping in games.
0 Ratings