cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mickoo7
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

Can my bt line be changed to a closer BT cabinet to my home?

I've recently had BT Infinity installed 4th August and initial speed tests confirmed I should be able to get upto 30.6 download & 5.9 upload, however when the Open Reach engineer came to instal my equipment he mention I should have been connected to the Cabinet in my street but for some reason my line is connected to another cabinet which is about three time the distance away from the cabinet in my street. To give you some idea the cabinet in my street is about 200 meters away from my home. I contacted the open reach team who confirmed the engineer has mention how far I am away from the cabinet I'm connected to and I should be connected to the one in the same street. I also know the further away you are from the cabinets the less speeds you end up with. Can my line be changed by open reach engineers and if so is there a cost involved? My current speed is anything from 15 down and the max up is1.04.. I'm with infinity 2... Can any one help improve my connection speeds?

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 13

Re: Can my bt line be changed to a closer BT cabinet to my home?

Its a paid service they offer to relocate you onto another cab. No idea of how much it would cost or even if it would be worth it if they did offer to do it.

Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 13

last price i heard was several thousand pounds to move if it was possible to re route the line
plainview
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 13

The engineer shouldn't be dictating what PCP your line should or shouldn't be connected to. The PCP closer to your house could have been installed there long after your house was built so naturally your line would be connected to a different one.

Anyway, getting half your line, i.e. the Exchange Side Cable to the cabinet nearer to your house is the easy part, a Frames Engineer at the Exchange would simply have to rejumper your line onto a Bar Pair that goes to that PCP. Problem is then getting it from the PCP to your house as chances are none of the D-Side Cables from it go to the Distribution Point that connects your home.

If Openreach would even do it, it would cost a lot of money as they would have to probably do digs, lay new duct, install a brand new DP, etc.

If faster download speed is that important to you, you are best off waiting until next year when Openreach bring out the FTTP On Demand. That is where anyone on a FTTC can pay to have it upgraded to FTTP.

RichRolls
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 13

Hi Plainview

Any idea how much the FTTP On Demand is likely to cost?

Rich

If you found this information helpful, please click the star to the left of this post. If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 13

no prices released yet
Mickoo7
Beginner
Message 7 of 13

To be honest I was very annoyed that the engineer identified the line should have been connected to a closer cabinet but didn't change it when the fibre was connected, but what you have said makes sense about why it wasn't changed over there and then. I still feel somewhat cheated and mislead that the speed predictions are less than half what I've actually ended up with. To be fair it's not what I expected from BT.... To mislead new customers with predictions of speeds and to end up with half is very disappointing. The most recent BBC report about misleading advertisement and speed predictions is curtainly happening in my case... 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 13

what you have to remember is speed from any service provider are estimates and can never be seen correctly until a service goes live there are just as many who are estimated low and get substantial more the reasons for a lower than average speed can be many up to and in including the quality of internal wiring and the condition of the line from your home to the cabinet
0 Ratings
plainview
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 13

'To be honest I was very annoyed that the engineer identified the line should have been connected to a closer cabinet but didn't change it when the fibre was connected, but what you have said makes sense about why it wasn't changed over there and then.'

He wouldn't have been able to change your line to a different cabinet even if he wanted to. Thing you need to understand about some Openreach engineers is they don't know when to shut their mouths.

I would never in a million years stand there and say things like, 'oh that cable 50 years old and needs replacing' or 'oh the whole network round here is s**t, your broadband will always be bad'. They are just detrimental comments that could bring Openreach into disrepute. Yeah, in some places the network probably could do with a complete overhaul but they should raise those concerns with Openreach Management, not complain to customers because one day they are gonna say the wrong thing to the wrong person and its gonna come back to bite them!

Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 13

Well said plainview the same situation applies in all of the service industries People never know when not to be carefulof what they say about the companies they work for
0 Ratings