cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sheryck
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Can my own at home BT Fon Hot-spot for others and my Hub Power Save be active together?

Hi, information required please.  HomeHub2 Software version 8.1.H.J (Type A) - installed new May 2010.

Can my own at home BT Fon Hot-spot for others and my Hub Power Save be active together?

Whenever I turn on 'Power Save' it kills my being a 'BT Fon Hot-spot'.  Is it normal for Power Save (say OFF 22:30 to 19:30) to kill my being a Hot-spot?  I can find no reference to this interaction anywhere.

Are there certain times of a day when my Hub must be powered ON to remain a Hot-spot for others?  Checking my BT Fon status I am still opted IN but my Hub Manager reads INACTIVE for BT Fon some time after using Power Save, and my BT Fon and BT Openzone available connections disappear from my Wireless list.

This has been a recurring situation for some time.  I can re-instate my home Hot-spot activity by opting out and then opting back in to BT Fon, after first having turned off Power Save (or using 15 second plus reset of the Hub).  After sometime my Wireless Network Connections (Win7) again shows BT Fon and BT Openzone available (until I switch on Power Save on my Hub!!)

Is my Hub monitered remotely everyday, and if powered OFF at the time is my home Hot-spot then not able to be active when power is ON again?

If I turn OFF Power Save for days, and leave it in an OFF state, even after reset, my being a Hot-spot will not re-instate without first resetting my BT Fon status (ie out then in).

If someone has the answers I would be most gratefull.  Many thanks, Confused user (otherwise very happy).

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Can my own at home BT Fon Hot-spot for others and my Hub Power Save be active together?

re instate your fon service and then turn off power save and leave it off all power save does is turn off the wireless function of the hub and honestly saves so little you would never notice it power save causes more issues than it is worth an router/hub is designed to be powered up 24/7 yes they are monitored as if it is turned off then there is no point as the fon function is not available when you are in powersave
deltron
Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Re: Can my own at home BT Fon Hot-spot for others and my Hub Power Save be active together?

Since i joined btfon I found the powersave feature quite usefull as once you join up with fon the option to turn off your wireless dissapears and seeing as due to my location my hub is no use to anyone I dont see any point keeping the wireless on all the time.I've had a hh2 for 2 years now and regularly use the powesave feature with zero problems and as soon as I turn powersaving off my bt fon comes up straight away. I guess if your having problems with it perhaps it's best to leave it like the poster above says.
sheryck
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 8

Thanks for your reply.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
sheryck
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Thank you for your reply.
0 Ratings
minusdot
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 8

@john46 wrote:
re instate your fon service and then turn off power save and leave it off all power save does is turn off the wireless function of the hub and honestly saves so little you would never notice it power save causes more issues than it is worth an router/hub is designed to be powered up 24/7 yes they are monitored as if it is turned off then there is no point as the fon function is not available when you are in powersave

Hmm. Some punctuation might have helped there john, I really don't understand what you are trying to say.

To clarify: once opted into BT Fon you'll have an additional wireless signal broadcasting your hotspot. The Power Saving feature disables your wireless, so no-one will be able to use your hotspot, but you remain a member of BT Fon 24x7 and could use someone else's hotspot if you were out and about at the time.

I'm not 100% convinced that there are no health implications from wifi signals so I like to use the power saving feature to switch off my wifi (I'm still fried by both neighbours!) during the hours when we're asleep.

I also had trouble de-activating my Fon account. And when you have an active Fon account you cannot disable your wireless setting. So on days when I didn't need it I had the power save feature active for 23.5 hours a day!

0 Ratings
dieselglider
Contributor
Message 7 of 8

If my HH3 Infinity router should happen to go faulty, and I revert to using my backup Netgear WNR1000 while waiting for a new unit, how long before I lose access to BT FON/Openzone when out and about?  Any idea?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 8

@dieselglider wrote:

If my HH3 Infinity router should happen to go faulty, and I revert to using my backup Netgear WNR1000 while waiting for a new unit, how long before I lose access to BT FON/Openzone when out and about?  Any idea?

You'll never lose access

(you don't need to own/use a router capable of transmitting the Fon/Oz SSID's to be able to use it elsewhere)

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings