cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Can only get fibre on BT, everyone else says not available

Go to solution

My parents want to change internet provider if they can, but want to stay on fibre. However, it appears that only BT will provide them with fibre. I ran the dsl checker but don't understand what the results mean (see below). Are they able to get fibre from another provider, or are they stuck with BT? ThanksBT.jpg

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Can only get fibre on BT, everyone else says not available

Go to solution

According to the check screenshot you posted there is no fibre avaiable even for BT.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

The checker shows that fibre isn't available, are you sure they already have fibre? What exchange and cabinet did it say at the top of the screenshot?

Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

Oh, interesting. They think they are because there was excitement when it was installed (or when they thought it was it appears). Just logged into their BT account and it says they're on Superfast fibre 2.

I did a speed check and they are getting 60mb/s download, 20mb/s upload. They definitely weren't getting speeds anywhere close to this before they got whatever they have now.

It said cabinet 12

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution
Oh and exchange is Wirksworth
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Hmm, that looks a database problem as Cabinet 12 at Wirksworth isn't fibre enabled. They must be connected to a different cabinet.

Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

I'll ask if one of the mods could take a look.

Message 8 of 10

Go to solution
Thanks!
I just spoke to them and they said that a new cable was installed down their road in into theirs and the neighbours house, would this mean they're on an FTTP and only BT can supply them? They are a fairly rural location so the cabinets are all over a mile away, if not further
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

Yes, its possible they have FTTP, in which case their choice of ISP will be limited. Not because only BT can supply FTTP but because other ISPs choose not to. Do they have an Optical box (ONT) as well as the home hub? something like this.

ont2.jpg

Message 10 of 10

Go to solution
Yes they do!
Thanks for your help, saved me days of googling!
0 Ratings