Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Can see hub but can't connect to Internet

Go to solution

BT hub problem 1.jpgBT hub problem 2.jpgI can see the BT hub using wired Ethernet, but the PC cannot connect to the Internet. Connection to other devices on the LAN is OK. This PC is connected to the BT hub via WiFi. Another computer on the same network connected via the wired Ethernet connected straight away without a problem.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Can see hub but can't connect to Internet

Go to solution

Have you tried re-starting the PC?

If it still won't connect try ONE factory reset of the Smarthub by pressing a pin into the recess button on the rear for about 20 seconds. 

Once you have done that make sure you turn off "smart setup" on the Smarthub.

See link how to do that.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/what-is-smart-setup-on-the-bt-hub%3F-how-can-...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

try disabling your ethernet network devices using device Manager in the control panel. Windows does tend to try and make the wired connections a priority over wireless ones

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

I tried restarting the BT hub. No change.

I tried restarting the PC. No change

I unplugged the WiFI and found that I had no Ethernet connection at all. 

But on another PC I have Ethernet connection, and can access the BT hub, but there is no Internet.

More information:

1. One PC is happily connected to the Internet via wired Ethernet, but cannot connect via WiFi, though it was connecting OK yesterday. 

2. This PC can only access the network via WiFi; cannot connect via wire.

3. Mobile phones connect then drop out, for no apparent reason.

4. The BT hub is new. It has only been in use a couple of weeks.

5. A third PC was working fine last week, connected via wire. Now it does not connect at all.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

The problem is that the wired connection does not work on two of the PCs. Disabling the WiFi on the one that does work wirelessly leaves it with no connection at all.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Throw the hub away and get a proper router.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

Just an observation, but on your screenshot of the Hub it has the WiFi name "BTHub6-X2Q2" yet your PC's screenshot shows it is connected to an open, unsecured WiFi network called "house" ("BTHub6-X2Q2" is in the list but not connected).

If this is another router, make sure DHCP is disabled (and for heavens sake put a password on it)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

Well spotted

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

I have solved the problem. Thank you to those who made helpful suggestions. One person mentioned that I should turn off DHCP. In fact, the solution was the opposite. Using the built-in Windows 10 troubleshooter a report was returned that stated that the DHCP for the local system was turned off, and that Windows could fix it if I chose. I accepted the fix and the internet connection was made. This solution also worked for other PCs on the network.

0 Ratings