I posted here about a year ago about how my Infinity 2 speed suddenly dropped (link). In summary I dropped from a nice steady 70Mbits to 62Mbits. And that's been the case since. My theory was that the Home Hub 5 had a fault.
A few days ago I got around to getting a Huawei HG612 3B and my figures have changed. I think I'm right in saying that within a week or two I should be getting much faster speeds, but an expert eye would be welcomed.
Here are the HG612's figures right now:
Max: Upstream rate = 26980 Kbps, Downstream rate = 82000 Kbps Bearer: 0, Upstream rate = 19999 Kbps, Downstream rate = 60000 Kbps Mode: VDSL2 Annex B SNR (dB): 11.3 15.4 Attn(dB): 17.2 0.0 Pwr(dBm): 14.5 7.2 Line attenuation (dB) U0 U1 U2 U3 U4 D1 D2. D3 19 Aug 2017 16:15:46 4.5 22.6 33.8 N/A N/A 12.1 29.2 44.0
Signal attenuation (dB) U0 U1 U2 U3 U4 D1 D2 D3 19 Aug 2017 16:15:46 4.5 21.9 33.1 N/A N/A 12.3 29.0 44.0
Compare this to a snapshot I took from the BT HomeHub before switching:
Data rate: 19999 / 59926
Maximum data rate: 24082 / 74455
Noise margin: 15.3 / 10.1
Line attenuation: 21.0 / 17.0
Signal attenuation: 20.9 / 17.0
To answer any questions, I live incredibly close to the local exchange, and very close to my local curbside box. I should be getting near-exemplary speeds although yes I know that cables can run funny routes underground.
Solved! Go to Solution.
DLM has banded your line to 60M due to instability. Either the banding has 'stuck', which is quite possible, or there is still a fault on your line.
No fault on the line to the best of my my knowledge, in that there's no noise on the handset (which we never ever use anyway). BT did some checks for me when I first posted here last year and effectively shrugged their shoulders.
I didn't monitor relgiously but the Home Hub 5 tended to go for anywhere up to 10 days connection uptime. It would generally flit between 60-62Mbit connections.
Unfortunately, the only way you will get the banding removed is is if an Openreach engineer clears a fault and resets DLM.
What does seem to have stopped now I've switched to a dedicated VDSL2 modem is the random dropping of Internet for all devices connected to the Home Hub. This happened around once every day. Sometimes morning. Sometimes evening.
I wonder if that was causing my sync to be banded at 60Mbits?
The dropout issue affected computers, phones and tablets, whether wired over Ethernet or connected via WiFi. It wasn't a DNS issue because all the computers used varying different DNS (i.e. Google, my own Raspberry Pi DNS, the BT DNS). Pinging sites from computers got "unreachable".
It would then fix itself in about 30-60 seconds of starting. Checking the HH logs showed nothing.
Sometimes I could connect to the hub via 192.168.1.254 in my browser while it happened, but sometimes even this was impossible.
Today I rebooted the Huawei after 10 days and am now getting speeds of 68.8Mbits downloaded, and 18.7 upload.
To remind you, the HomeHub 5 was stuck at 55.8Mbits for over 12 months.
In other words, the HomeHub 5 has some kind of fault. I knew it did.
On the one hand I'm really glad to be getting the speed I'm actually paying for with Infinity 2, but on the other I've spent a year paying for a service that's been around 12Mbits slower than it could've been.
Back when I started to investigate this last year BT said they would send me a replacement hub, but that never turned up and I think it was just lip service to get me off the tech support line.
What a mess. Yet another reason to just avoid BT -- although I'm not sure any other provider is really any better.
Might be but a better answer is that the HomeHub 5 is cheaply manufactured (this is a known fact) and also wasn't new when I switched to Infinity. I was already with BT so they told me to stick with the hardware I had. I suppose I should've pushed at that point for a new device and have learned for the future.
Isn't this the case with all ISP's???
I just want to make this absolutely clear in case anybody's finding this thread by googling:
I also want to point out something important, but unpallatable to many people here. When I posted here a few times lots of people on this forum threw very technical suggestions and cures at me. Often there was suspicion and paranoia about BT's motives and operations. I'm sure these people mean very well and often they might be correct (I think BT is an awful company), but often the simplest and most obvious solution is correct – in this case, it was faulty hardware. If you're a visitor to this forum do be careful taking some of the advice and information offered here. It might sound technically correct but it's often not actually correct. Keep your thinking hat on.