Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 20

Can someone experienced Help me out Please :) [Long Post]

Hey Guys =D

Ok so i have a couple of questions im hoping you guys can answer or atleast try anyways 😜

So i recently got my BT total bb option 1 connected (please note im going to switch it to option 3 soon) and the estimate on my line from bt would be about 17mb. Now i know all about "up to speeds" etc but i have read that it can take around 10 days for the line to settle and its best to leave the router on for about 24 hours to get itself settled, is this true? because at the moment im currently averaging 4-6 dl and 75-85 ul i was expectng the download to be atleast 10-14mb. Now heres a bit of info you might find useful im currently on ADSL+2 Annex A Fastpath, Now i know that fastpath takes some download away to give better ping times which is what i want , but could it really have reduced to 5mb just because its on fastpath and not interleaving? if so thats pretty harsh.

Now away from the stuff above i really just want to talk about profiles, usage limits and FUP.

Im wondering is BT currently allowing its customers to switch their profile from Annex A to Annex M? and do they charge the customer the £7 extra per month for it? because id very much like to have Annex M Fastpath sometime in the future.

Now ive heard this and that about usage limits but id just like this cleared up, is total BB option 3 currently 300GB per month usage? but in april the usage cap is getting taken away to give actual "unlimited" downloads?.

AND FINALLY!!!!

How does the FUP actually work? i understand bt has to manage traffic and lower some of the more heavier users download speeds to allow a fair service during peak times but  what is actually considers a heavy user?  now i dont download/upload constantly but i do need to have my xbox 360 running and my pc at the same time (to earn a living through a popular gaming related youtube channel) which im guessing might average about 100-300mb per hour or someting like that. Would this class me as a heavy user? because in my mind a heavy user is most likely a torrent uploader/downloader who is using a fair few Gb per hour. Now i know my opinion doesnt count and its up to BT at the end of the day but if you could enlighten me on this issue that would be great.

Thanks for Reading my long long thread and for leaving any replys below, if you would like me to post my ASDL stats i can do so.

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 20

Re: Can someone experienced Help me out Please :) [Long Post]

yes can you post your adsl stats and run btspeedtester and post the results.

fastpath should not reduce your speed but may make your line less stable than interleaving.  if you have a good line then fast will be ok and is the preferred option for gamers

Residential lines are 'a' but I have seen talk of 'm' on business connections

current FUP is 300gb and is due to be removed this month but date still not known

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 20

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 05:18:05
Downstream:5.117 Mbps
Upstream:1.019 Mbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type:Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up):8.9 dB / 6.3 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):44.4 dB / 16.4 dB
Output power (Down/Up):19.7 dBm / 12.6 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):136 / 38
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):106 / 3
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):

15286 / 7

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 20

Download Speed 4534 Kbps 0 Kbps 7150 Kbps Max Achievable Speed Download speedachieved during the test was - 4534 Kbps For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 2000-7150 Kbps. Additional Information: Your DSL Connection Rate :5239 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 1043 Kbps(UP-STREAM) IP Profile for your line is - 5000 Kbps The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 14.2:22.3:63.51 (SBE:NBE:PBE) These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic. The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes. 2. Upstream Test: -provides background information. Upload Speed 813 Kbps 0 Kbps 1043 Kbps Max Achievable Speed >Upload speed achieved during the test was - 813 Kbps Additional Information: Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 1043 Kbps
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 20

lol sorry about the above speed test results, i probably should have screenshotted them instead. But if you can explain whats going on with my line that would help a bunch.

Im around 0.2 miles away from my exchange so not far at all, its literally just around the corner from my house, although i understand the line doesnt run in the straight line 😛

also ive done two tests on different days with my phone on the 17070 (i think) number and both came back silent.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 20

thsi is second time today where the dsl rate from btspeedtester 5239 differs from the downstream on the router 5117 - is this another fault with btspeedtester?

with your attenuation of 44.4 you are about 3.3km from the exchange and according to kitz website give a potential speed of about 7.2mb  http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php

at present you are just at 5mb and 5hrs connected.  your noise margin is a bit high at 8.9 as normal about 6.  If you are still in the 10 training period you need to leave your hub connected 24/7 during the whole training period.  the hub may reset on it's own as it tries to find the best stable speed for your connection.

connecting to the test socket can often help your connection speed if you have other extension sockets in your home

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 20

well i dont know how well you trust SamKnows websites estimates, but when i checked how far i am from my exchange these are the results i got back.

You are approximately 357 metres from the exchange. Note that this is the straight line distance - the actual cable length will be longer!

Surely my line cant be 3.3KM long? although it could very well be, it be very surprised.

And yes my hubs only been conected for about 15-20 hours since i only got it yesterday after noon, but my adsl stats show that its only been connected aroun 5-8 hours so im guessing thats it resettings itself.

and i live in an upstairs flat so i dont have a clue if that makes any difference to my line? but i only have one phone socket in the house which i have my ADSL filter connected to etc.

If theres anything else you would like me to post or test let me know thanks!! =D

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 20

the samknows site is good but your attenuation speaks for itself.

only times I have seen such a big difference have been due to things like a railway line or small river or similar obstruction between your home and the exchange

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 9 of 20

hmm ok fair enough, well i dont have anything between me and the exchange such as a railway etc so i guess il just have to wait the ten days and see if anything improves, If not il have to call BT and see if theres anything they can do.

Thanks for helping.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 20

Unfortunately there is nothing that can be done about your attenuation other than the drastic action of moving nearer the exchange
0 Ratings