cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Woodford
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Can someone please explain some terminology

I've had numerous speed problems with my BB since signing up some 10 years ago.  Largely these seem to be because the wiring in my area is old plus I'm just over 6 k from the exchange.

A few weeks ago an engineer visitied me and did a speed check for me into the master socket using his laptop.  This recorded a throughput speed in excess of 3kbps.  Now I was told that I just couldn't get anything much over 1 kbps - clearly not correct.  He did a couple of tests and the 3 kbps was consistent.

As a result he spoke with the local exchange who agreed to increase my IP profile from 1250 which they did, initially to 3000.  Since then they have tinkered around and it stands at 1750.

What I don't understand is the meaning of throughput speed and what has this to do with my Download Speed.   Also is it possible to get my IP profile increased against the background of apparently being able to obtain better speeds?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Can someone please explain some terminology

throughput is basically your download speed shown when using btspeedtester.

Your ip profile is dependent on your connection speed not the other way round.  so the higher your connection speed the higher your profile - some reading for you  http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/IPprofile.htm

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Woodford
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

I've read Kitz but still don't understand.  If the BB speed coming into my router (throughput) is say 3m, why is my download speed just 1.75m?

Steve

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

what you see in your router is the speed you are connected to the internet.  if you then run btspeedtester you will see the same adsl speed shown in the test along with a profile (kitz site for explanation) and also a throughput download speed.  your profile is dependent on your connections speed and your throughput/download is dependent on your profile

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Woodford
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Thanks again.  In essence therefore my argument with BT is well founded in that if my connection speed is over 3mbps then my IP profile should be marginally less than that, whereas its not much over half!

Steve

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

your profile can be low due to line problems inside and outside your home.  if you have disconnections or resets then that will probably result in your connection speed dropping which causes your profile to drop and therefore your throughput/download speed.  your connection speed can then come back to 'normal' but your profile will stay low until you have been connected for 3/5 days showing that your line is now stable.

posting you stats will get help/advice from forum members as the problem may well be your internal wiring

0 Ratings