Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
grumpya
Beginner
Message 11 of 17

Re: Can't Connect - First time.

Go to solution

I have received my email saying my account has been activated my service worked for half an hour by which time I had opened my (virgin) email account and found the emails saying dont use your broadband until we tell you to! I tried to get onto yahoo to sign in for the first time and got internet explorer cannot connect you. I phoned up for help and spoke to a very nice man in india for over an hour who checked everything and gave me codes to put into my computer and even went into dos to check everything out. he said maybe it was a fault on the hub and ordered another one then his supervisor said no my service might not be fully activated so try again tomorrow.

I dont understand - why can i get on here and post, I can access virginmedia and email and the phone works but I cannot get onto yahoo or internet exxplorer?? Have I done something wrong or are they blocking my service? I should be able to access everything shouldn't I - we have option 1 and live in the sticks?

0 Ratings
gouledw
Recognised Expert
Message 12 of 17

Go to solution
What websites can you access? Can you not access google, thats the best one to try and also http://www.bbc.co.uk , if you can get on here then it must be working, is the colour of the 'B' light on the hub blue or not? And is your service provided by BT or Virgin?
grumpya
Beginner
Message 13 of 17

Go to solution

Hi Edd

Just got connected today to BT, previously we were with virgin at our old address hence my emails being with virgin. We live on the very edge of a very small town so no cable, no high speed connections. I can open my virgin media mail and I can google stuff from the google box at the top of the page but I cannot access the bt.yahoo page I can't open internet explorer with google, I can get all of the BT site, and if I go onto my emails at virginmedia I can access pages through that but nothing will open through the normal channels I just get the page that says internet explorer is unable to work. This seems very strange but I have never had a BT service before so don't know what to expect.

All the lights are blue and steady most of the time

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 17

Go to solution
If your problem is logging into bt yahoo mail it can sometimes take up to 48 hours after activation before the email service goes live
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 17

Go to solution

" I can open my virgin media mail and I can google stuff from the google box at the top of the page"

If you cannot access explorer how do you open your virgin mail?

but I cannot access the bt.yahoo page I can't open internet explorer with google, I can get all of the BT site, and if I go onto my emails at virginmedia I can access pages through that but nothing will open through the normal channels I just get the page that says internet explorer is unable to work
Do Virgin Have there own web browser ??
because some of your statements are very confusing could you please try and explain a little more clearly

0 Ratings
grumpya
Beginner
Message 16 of 17

Go to solution

Sorry I am not the most computer literate person. I have a shortcut to my sign in page for my virgin media web page and if I click on the shortcut on my desktop that page opens. From that I can use the google box at the top to access the internet. By the google box I mean the white box next to where it says google under the bit where the web address is shown at the top of the page. I cannot access btyahoo either through the shortcut the software downloaded onto my desktop it just says internet explorer has stopped working, if I type the address in to the address bar at the top of the page it is the same and if I follow the links from the BT web page it is the same. I also cannot access internet explorer by clicking on the shortcut I used to use to open the google homepage, that produces the same effect.

I can limp along by opening my virgin emails sign on page thro the desktop shortcut but it is annoying that some sites seem to be "allowed" and others don't. Does that make more sense?

0 Ratings
gouledw
Recognised Expert
Message 17 of 17

Go to solution

What you could try doing is 

Hit the windows key + r at the same time so a little box comes up bottom left of your screen

and then type in the box iexplore.exe and that should bring up the Internet Explorer and try browsing around to different sites see if it makes a difference.  Important: Always make sure you have the most up-to-date browser as the internet continues to evolve the browser needs to be able to cope with the new technologies to give you the best experience.

0 Ratings