Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
princessg1
Beginner
Message 1 of 18

Can't Port My Phone Number

Hello 

I have had my phone number for 30+ years. It was successfully ported to a new telephone provider as I had moved from a conventional landline to a VOIP system.

Unfortunately the VOIP system does not work well, so I agreed with my previous phone provider that I could go back to them. They were confident that my phone number would port back.  

They had to send an Open Reach engineer to my house to reactivate the landline but this has a different phone number.  The Open Reach engineer said that my original phone number was still available and all my phone provider had to do was request my number from my VOIP provider and it would port over OK.

However the phone provider has requested the number from the VOIP provider but the number won't port. The Open Reach error code is OR2356 error reservationDN.

I can't believe that after 30+years I'm going to have to use a different number with all the hassle that entails. Can anyone help?

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: Can't Port My Phone Number

@princessg1 Which Service Provider are you trying to move back to?

0 Ratings
princessg1
Beginner
Message 3 of 18

I moved from Fleur Telecom to Vonage and now trying to move back to Fleur Telecom

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 18

@princessg1 wrote:

I moved from Fleur Telecom to Vonage and now trying to move back to Fleur Telecom

@princessg1Then only Fleur Telecom can help you, they will have to contact Openreach.

This forum is only for customers of BT Retail, or those who are moving from other providers, to BT Retail.

If you were moving to BT Retail, and the number was marked as reserved on your local BT Exchange, then in theory it should be possible to port the number.

If you have moved house, to a different exchange area, then porting would not be possible.

At a guess, I would say that the reservation it to prevent that number being allocated to a physical line, as it on VOIP at the moment.

0 Ratings
princessg1
Beginner
Message 5 of 18

thank you - frustrating as Open Reach won't accept contacts from the public and I would love to ask them myself rather than relying on Fleur.  I thought Open Reach were part of BT which is why I posted.

Not moving house 

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 18

@princessg1Openreach are just a BT Group company. BT Retail and BT Business, are also BT Group companies.

As far as Openreach are concerned, BT Retail is just a Service Provider, like Sky, TalkTalk etc.

That seems to be the same for Fleur Telecom. They may be using either their own equipment in the exchange, or simply re-selling BT exchange connections which are another part of the BT Group.

If you cannot get this resolved, and would like to see if BT Retail can help, then please post back on this forum.

0 Ratings
princessg1
Beginner
Message 7 of 18

Thank you very much for your comments. Far more complex than the good old days!!

To be honest I don't think I can get it resolved with Fleur and as I am still within a cancellation period with them, I was thinking of looking at BT.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 18

If they cannot resolve it, then I cannot see why they would impose a cancellation period, unless you already have existing services with them. If you place an order with a provider, you have up to 14 days after service has been activated, to cancel, provided you pay them for any usage, and return any equipment that has been provided.

You would lose any activation charges.

That is certainly the case with BT Retail as far as I am aware.

0 Ratings
princessg1
Beginner
Message 9 of 18

Do you think BT Retail could help?  I really do need to keep my original phone number

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 18

@princessg1 wrote:

Do you think BT Retail could help?  I really do need to keep my original phone number

@princessg1 Well if the number is reserved within the number range of your local exchange, I cannot see why BT Retail could not arrange a re-number.

This is a simple software change within the exchange, and would allocate your original number, to your existing equipment number in the exchange. BT Retail may own the number anyway.

It would be best if I ask one of the BT moderators to help with this, to avoid any confusion.

Would you like me to do that? They will post here, with a suitable contact form, so there is no need to provide any details on this public forum.

0 Ratings