cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Can't Win

I've been trying to sort out my bill for months. It's incorrect. 

Last night I spent over an hour on the phone trying to argue my case but the person on the end couldn't understand what I was meaning and suprise suprise the phone went dead. 

The last bill came in at £139.58 which included a cease charge. I decided to go with Orange September 27th 2012 and had a 3 way conversation between Orange, myself and BT where BT gave Orange the MAC code. Why have I been charged £30...

I was also not under contract, so why have I been charged from 27th September - 27th October? It's not exactly pocket change, that's another £49.67 taking it up to £79.67 that I don't believe I should be paying. 

I believe I should be paying £59.91 which I'd pay immediately.

Am I wrong or missing something?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 10

Re: Can't Win

Hi,

If you contact the mods using the following link they will be able to help you: http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 10

@scottlpool2003 wrote:

Am I wrong or missing something?

I think you are. Common parlance regards a contract as being the minimum period on a package deal (usually 12, 18 or 24 months). But once that expires you are still in contract, albeit for only one month at a time, because you are obliged under the T&C to give 30 days notice of termination (though it may be less - see below). You seem to have decided to leave and cancel on the same day so the charge for the following month appears at least half correct correct.

However, on the face of it you should not also have been charge the £30 broadband cessation fee. The quickest way to get a firm reply from BT about that would be via Live Chat, which allows you to save a copy of the conversation. If their response does not satisfy you, try contacting the moderators as already advised.

Capture.JPG

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 10

"albeit for only one month"

But my contract expired in June and I switched in September...
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 10

Sorry I thought it was implicit that I meant one month at a time, but I've amended it.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 10

Thanks I checked over the terms and it says 14 days if I'm switching but how do those terms terms apply under no contract? When the contract ends my signed agreement ends surely?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 10

Especially 2 months after the contract ended.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 10

One more try. Customers are always in a contract with BT; it's necessary for provision of the service. The minimum is the 30 days notice contained in the T&C (14 in specified circumstances), but they can agree to a longer minimum term if they wish, usually in exchange for better prices and subject to early termination charges. Once the minimum term is up, they revert automatically to the basic 30 days.

--
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 10

@scottlpool2003 wrote:
Especially 2 months after the contract ended.

Put it this way, in theory your contract never ends. After the minimum period you signed up for has elapsed, BT put you on monthly contracts, so you always have to give 30 days notice if you want rid of them for good.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 10 of 10

I feel the same, you cant win

Had billing issues for 7 months now (after selling a house) but for some reason BT did not close the account and kept changing

They are now saying that they can only send a final bill to a uk address - kinda difficult when I am not in the UK anymore!

0 Ratings