Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rich1608
Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Can't access ftp site with My Network Places

Hi

It seems I can no longer add or delete files from BT's ftp site using My Network Places. Something must have changed recently as this was easily possible until recently by drag & drop after logging on. Should I be doing something differently? My web space hasn't changed, see http://www.btinternet.com/~richardgroves/ I'm using IE8 and Windows XP Service Pack 3 with all the latest security updates (updated yesterday). Thanks, Richard

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 11

Re: Can't access ftp site with My Network Places

I have just done a small test on my site without any problems using IE8, XP sp3 but not with the latest (yesterday) updates.

How does it fail for you ?

0 Ratings
rich1608
Contributor
Message 3 of 11

All I get now is an error message saying 'The folder you entered does not appear to be valid. Please choose another.' when I type in the address in the wizard. I have tried all kinds of username/address permutations including both examples in section d here http://www.andyweb.co.uk/shortcuts/webpage.htm and it just comes up with the error message every time. I have never had this trouble before. There were two optional XP updates (not high priority) on the Microsoft update site and I tried those but it made no difference.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 11

@rich1608 wrote:

All I get now is an error message saying 'The folder you entered does not appear to be valid. Please choose another.' when I type in the address in the wizard. I have tried all kinds of username/address permutations including both examples in section d here http://www.andyweb.co.uk/shortcuts/webpage.htm and it just comes up with the error message every time. I have never had this trouble before. There were two optional XP updates (not high priority) on the Microsoft update site and I tried those but it made no difference.

Hi Richard.

A couple of questions spring to mind here. Clearly there are only a couple of files on your site, and no index.htm file. Are you a full BTinternet user ? If not, then the site will not have the 50MB allowance, even though it is there. Any file updates will actually delete that file from the web servers.

Also - check you IP address :-

http://www.whatismyip.com/

if is one of those in the range of my shortcuts you've linked above item [d], then you wont be able to use ftp until you get a new IP address - a router reset or power cycle normally achieves that.

0 Ratings
rich1608
Contributor
Message 5 of 11

Hi Andy

As far as I know I'm a full BT Internet user. I've had my email address since July 2000 and had a full site on my web space not so long ago. I have used My Network Places to add/delete files to the ftp site several times since then with no problems at all until now. I've tried several power cycles with very different IP addresses each time and it made no difference. I also have an Atspace ftp site and was using My Network Places to update this too - there were two yellow file tabs, one for BT Internet and one for Atspace. But since this problem started, the yellow file tabs have gone and instead there are two 'ghost' tabs similar to thisImage1.jpg

I have two other computers, all have the lastest Windows updates and all are now giving the same problem. I think this might be a Windows issue not a BT one, what do you think?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 11

@rich1608 wrote:

Hi Andy

As far as I know I'm a full BT Internet user. I've had my email address since July 2000 and had a full site on my web space not so long ago. I have used My Network Places to add/delete files to the ftp site several times since then with no problems at all until now. I've tried several power cycles with very different IP addresses each time and it made no difference. I also have an Atspace ftp site and was using My Network Places to update this too - there were two yellow file tabs, one for BT Internet and one for Atspace. But since this problem started, the yellow file tabs have gone and instead there are two 'ghost' tabs similar to thisImage1.jpg

I have two other computers, all have the lastest Windows updates and all are now giving the same problem. I think this might be a Windows issue not a BT one, what do you think?

It does sound like a Windows issue, possibly an interfering firewall (one of the usual things that gets in the way).

I've always found it easier to use a dedicated ftp client program to administer websites, but they are a little more complicated than using Explorer via My Network Places.

0 Ratings
rich1608
Contributor
Message 7 of 11

Thanks for your help Andy. I did a google search for this problem and it looks like quite a complicated issue with a tricky solution which involves going into the registry. I would be out of my depth doing that so I have downloaded Filezilla and am currently getting to grips with it. Doesn't look too bad! Thanks again, Richard Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 11

Richard,

If you start the Add Network Place Wizard

Click Next

Select "choose another network location"

Use ftp://ftp.btinternet.com as the internet or network address

Click Next

Untick Logon anonymously

Enter your username richardgroves

Click Next

Enter name for network place (say BTinternet1)

Click Next

Click Finish

You should now be able to access your files by clicking on BTinternet1

0 Ratings
rich1608
Contributor
Message 9 of 11

I tried that and got the usual response:

Image1.jpg

I copied the shortcut from your text and pasted it into the box as suggested. I've been trying all manner of combinations and every time without fail the same error message comes up. Clearly Microsoft have cocked up with their latest update because the wizard won't accept anything now. I managed to access the site no problem with Filezilla. Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 11

I have now installed the latest Microsoft Updates and FTP access using network places is still working.   This suggests that the latest updates are not to blame.  I am using IE8, XP Home SP3.

0 Ratings