cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hornbyrob
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Can't connect multiple wired connections to router

I have a Smart hub 6, fibre to the property and a new house with 3 data points connecting the hall to our lounge. I have a issue where every time I try to connect more than one device then the other connection disconnects. Each port individually works ok but as soon as have two connections one disconnects. Each port is supposedly individually wired so there is no splitting. When I check the router dashboard and connected devices there is only ever the latest device. Does anyone have any ideas what might be going wrong here? Connecting a Samsung smart to and a PS4. 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Can't connect multiple wired connections to router

If you are sure the ports aren't daisy chained somehow and are definitely individually wired it is probably yet another duff hub. Try just connecting one port at a time at the hub end and make sure there is only one corresponding port live at the other end to verify connectivity.

0 Ratings
Hornbyrob
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

So I don't know on daisy chain. The electrician that did it confirmed today they are individually wired and each on their own work.   Same in the router.  The router has also been changed from Bt hub5 to 6 (both hubs saw same issue). I really am stuck for ideas.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

But did you confirm that there is no signal on the other 2 when only one port is connected? Electricians are usually clueless when it comes to network cabling. Can you try connecting multiple devices to the router directly, that will eliminate the cabling.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

If it is happening with both the Smarthub and the Homehub 5 it would suggest to me that you electrician has not done a very good job.

0 Ratings
flamethrower
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 7

FWIW, you can pick up an ethernet cable tester for under £10 and could test the ports with a couple of pieces of ethernet cable if you want your own data.

he testers typically have two ends a user display unit and signal reflector(*), each accepting one end of an ethernet cable. You'd stick one cable in port A in the hall and one cable in port A in the lounge, with the tester parts at the end of each cable. Test pairs, AA, BB, CC, AB, BC, AC. AA, BB, CC should pass through perfectly. The others should be totally dead.

(*) don't really know what you call it 🙂

0 Ratings
Devon_Dave
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 7

If there is 3 ports around your house I guess these will all go back to a central point? So with this in mind I assume you have connected each of these to your hub with 3-separate Ethernet patch cords coming out from your home hub?
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings