Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 21 of 30

Re: Can't connect to Google sites

Go to solution

As I said, it might be something to do with the BT parental controls so I have notified the moderators of the forum about your problem. Once they have read this they may be able to help.

They are a BT UK based team and if they can help they will reply via this thread asking you to contact them via a link. They are very busy at present so once you have replied to them by the link, it can take three to five working days for them to re-contact you.

0 Ratings
RobbieMac
Message 22 of 30

Go to solution

Hi @John4647

Thanks for your post and welcome back. Smiley Happy

Strange issue!  Sorry you're having this problem.  Before we take your details, can you try a complete factory reset of the Smart Hub by following these instructions: How do I reset my BT Hub to its factory settings?

I do know that you've mentioned you've tried this before I just need to rule this out before taking your details over.  If you're still having the same problem after this you can click on my username here >> RobbieMac << and you'll see our contact link on the left hand side underneath my profile picture.

Cheers,

Robbie

0 Ratings
John4647
Aspiring Contributor
Message 23 of 30

Go to solution

Hello,

I think I have now solved this.

The clue was in my third post.

Here it is again with the offending part in bold.

########################################

This site can’t be reached

The webpage at https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl might be

temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web

address.

ERR_QUIC_PROTOCOL_ERROR

########################################

It would appear that this protocol can be a problem with higher speed routers. It was o/k when I was using my slower Talktalk but not with the faster BT Broadband, particularly with it's settings.

The fix is as follows:

1. Open a new tab in Chrome
  2. Enter chrome://flags/ into the address bar
  3. Locate ‘Experimental QUIC protocol‘ 
  4. Using the drop-down menu, select disable
  5. Restart Chrome

Hope this helps should anyone else be in a similar state of distress.

Regards

0 Ratings
Liam_
Recognised Expert
Message 24 of 30

Go to solution

Seems odd that this happened to your devices and no other reports of problems.  Tried Chrome with default settings, on 3 PCs running latest Windows 10 over the last 2 days and could not replicate the issue.  Not using a hub though, so I guess the jury's still out regards the cause.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 25 of 30

Go to solution

Glad you have resolved your problem but I have never heard that issue on this forum before and there must be millions of Chrome users on BT Infinity and other fibre products from other ISPs.

0 Ratings
John4647
Aspiring Contributor
Message 26 of 30

Go to solution

I can replicate the problem by re-enabling the QUIC Protocol

0 Ratings
Liam_
Recognised Expert
Message 27 of 30

Go to solution

Tried again today for a couple of hours, no issues with any site visited.  QUIC enabled, disabled, same result no problems, even with over 60 tabs open.  Included several google sites and several searches carried out.

As there are no other reports of your problem it looks like something with your Windows setup, seeing as you say Edge is slow.  Some update might have broken something, which happens a lot.

0 Ratings
John4647
Aspiring Contributor
Message 28 of 30

Go to solution

It's all too complicated for us Silver Surfers.

In any case the fix on the Quic protocol worked so whatever the reason, I am quite happy with my setup now.

Regards

0 Ratings
edh99
Beginner
Message 29 of 30

Go to solution

It's not just you or your PC.

I have exactly the same problem on Chrome on Macintosh and Chrome on Android (plus the other Google apps).  

My setup worked fine on Sky broadband until the very moment Infinity and Home Hub 6 was installed, nothing else was changed.

Yes I've restarted, reset, cleared cache, connected through ethernet, turned off smart setup etc etc etc.

Turning off parental controls and web protect makes no difference.

I'm certain it is a routing issue somewhere beyond my devices.

Disabling the QUIC protocol in Chrome does fix it, but not all of the Google apps on Android seem to benefit from this so its not a perfect solution.

Cheers

0 Ratings
gom66
Beginner
Message 30 of 30

Go to solution

I have the same issue with Firefox but NOT with Safari on a Mac. I am on an ethernet direct into the router. It works on my apple devices over wifi but not connected to ethernet.

Ever since I installed HH6, I get sporadic hang-ups where I can't reach my Google email, can't search for anything on Google.

The fact that I don't get these on Safari but I do get these in Firefox makes me think that BT have introduced something into their router that is incompatible with Firefox.

I won't have anything to do with Chrome since I discovered that Chrome keeps all previous versions on my Mac and was swallowing up over 16Gbytes just with the app.

I know that Firefox, especially since they got rid of plugins, is becoming less and less used but it is at least open source.

Can anyone suggest how I get around the Firefox issue as I am not a keen fan of safari either....

0 Ratings