Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
phoenix773
Beginner
Message 11 of 21

Re: Can't delete an 'Alias' that I didn't set up

Go to solution

thank you @gg30340for your reply.  The Yahoo email says bty(7numbers)@yahoo.co.uk (alias) I am a bit stressed with both my Hotmail and BT emails appearing on Alerts by Equifax. Do you know if BT offer enhanced sign in security like Hotmail two step verification or if one of the Mods can answer. I am usually pretty careful.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 21

Go to solution

BT do not offer two factor authentication.

I don't know why your email address would be on Equifax. You would need to contact them.

It may be that your email address was part of the massive hack that happened to Yahoo a number of years ago, not the one that happened two years ago and was only report recently. 

You can check your email addresses on the 

Have I been pwned website.

https://haveibeenpwned.com/

0 Ratings
DavidM
Message 13 of 21

Go to solution

Hi @phoenix773 and thanks for posting.

Do you get a pop up message when you try to delete the account?

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
phoenix773
Beginner
Message 14 of 21

Go to solution

Hi and thanks for replying @DavidM. it says the following and yes i think its a pop up     Sorry, you must have an active Yahoo! Mail account in order to qualify for an extra email address. You can sign up now--it's easy a

0 Ratings
dw79
Beginner
Message 15 of 21

Go to solution
I originally started this post and it has been resolved. I raised it as an issue with the moderators and had a call from someone called Patrick from BT. He confirmed it was not anything suspicious and was something to do with being able to use yahoo services. Patrick was able to remove the alias for me. Hope this helps.
0 Ratings
phoenix773
Beginner
Message 16 of 21

Go to solution

Hi @gg30340 thank you for the help.  i checked the website you suggested and both my bt and hotmail are on but it says no pastes ? the equifax web alert notifies you when cyber criminals try trade your  details prob like to the site you suggested can alert you if you sign up. both alerts are within the last few weeks. i have changed my changed both my passwords and set up two stage verification on hotmail. Thanks again for your help.

0 Ratings
phoenix773
Beginner
Message 17 of 21

Go to solution

Yes thank you @dw79 what you said helps and is as i suspected. i did not agree with the guy from the bt helpdesk i spoke to but was getting nowhere. Many thanks 

0 Ratings
DanielS
Message 18 of 21

Go to solution

Hi @phoenix773,

The feature isn't offered by us but Yahoo do offer a way of managing your alias accounts.

Check out the following link: Yahoo Alias.

Thanks

DanielS

0 Ratings
JOHNELLISON
Beginner
Message 19 of 21

Go to solution

I had reported this as a fault earlier this week and have been told today that the alias is simply there as 'a default'. I said to the telephone adviser that this didn't really explain anything and that when I had problems with e-mail earlier this year there had been an added e-mail address that had to be deleted after many days of being referred to 'second level' support and being told it was all to do with the server. When the false e-mail address was finally removed there was no 'alias' e-mail address left in the settings. So the query is why this alias has now appeared and become 'a default' setting which everyone just accepts should be there.

0 Ratings
unwina
Expert
Message 20 of 21

Go to solution

sadly that yahoo link only allows new ones to be set up not the deletion of old ones so thats not the answer in my opinion. What is interesting though for the 2nd option is empty but whe I clicked on it it gave the same message as the one from BTYahoo settings screen.

"Sorry, you must have an active Yahoo! Mail account in order to qualify for an extra email address. You can sign up now--it's easy and it's free."

I check my ones for being pwned, someone else mentioned this but as they are aliases I wonder if they would even have been part of the breach.

Whilst I accept that this is probably not part of BT's remit I think its not that useful to pass it off to yahoo. I'm guessing that yahoo might pass this back to BT as someone above said that a BT person removed it for them.

0 Ratings