Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dw79
Beginner
Message 1 of 21

Can't delete an 'Alias' that I didn't set up

Go to solution

I have discovered there is an alias set up in my account which I didn't set up. When I press the 'Remove Alias' button. It doesn't work and I am sent to a page which says I don't have an account. See screenshots below. Can anyone suggest how I can remove this? I believe this alias is spamming my contacts. I have changed my password and security question etc.

Thanks

Screen Shot 2016-09-24 at 18.10.36.png

Screen Shot 2016-09-24 at 18.10.58.png

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
NeilO
Message 2 of 21

Re: Can't delete an 'Alias' that I didn't set up

Go to solution

@dw79 I'm sorry you get an error when trying to delete the alias email address on your BT Yahoo account. We'll need to get a fault reported to get that sorted. Please use the 'contact the mods' link in my forum profile to send in your details. You can find the link by clicking on my username .

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Nanok
Contributor
Message 3 of 21

Go to solution

I noticed that when changing all the passwords, I have one as well. The alias starts BTY then a six figure number @Yahoo.co.uk. Similarly, could not delete but did not want to try too hard in case it messed something else up. Had enough trouble syncing passwords on all our devices as it is! Do I need to report a fault as well, or wait and see if itis a common problem?

Paul 

0 Ratings
psweeney1967
Beginner
Message 4 of 21

Go to solution

I also can't seem to delete my email aliases.  I can't seem to find the "contact the mods" link.

0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 5 of 21

Go to solution

@psweeney1967 sorry we can't help deleting @yahoo.co.uk alias's as they are not provided as part of our @btinternet.com email service. You'll need to contact Yahoo directly for help with this.

0 Ratings
G_by_the_sea
Beginner
Message 6 of 21

Go to solution

I've come across this too. I wondered (after also trying to delete it to be told I have no account) whether it's just an auto-generated suggestion for an alias that hasn't been set up? 

0 Ratings
G_by_the_sea
Beginner
Message 7 of 21

Go to solution

Upon further investigation, I have two aliases listed which I didn't set up, based on my BT/Yahoo email but with '@btopenworld' and '@yahoo' endings. Clicking either then hitting the delete button gives 'Sorry, you must have an active Yahoo! Mail account in order to qualify for an extra email address', hence my suspicion (or hope) that they're just some sort of script generated suggestions, that can't be edited or removed through some glitch. Interestingly, they don't show at all in settings if using the standard, plain text view for BT/Yahoo webmail. My understanding of aliases is that any messages sent or recieved by them would show in the inbox / outbox of the account they were linked to anyway, revealing any suspicious activity?

0 Ratings
G_by_the_sea
Beginner
Message 8 of 21

Go to solution

Update - these aliases are active because they can be selected in the 'from' box when sending webmail and mail can be sent to them too. I'm still incliced to think that they were created automatically with the account, rather than indicating suspicious activity. Mail sent or recieved by them do appear in the inbox / outbox of the linked account. Hope this helps others experiencing similar.

phoenix773
Beginner
Message 9 of 21

Go to solution

Hi. i noticed under Settings then Accounts it shows my email address under BT Yahoo then another email address the same name but at btopenworld then another saying bty several numbers then @Yahoo.co.uk . When i click on this it says (Alias) in brackets and won't let me delete it. I rung BT who seemed to think it was something i set up (i did not) It worried me as i have received security alerts from EquifaxWeb Detect saying this email and my Hotmail are possibly been sold by cyber criminals. The guy at BT though did not seem to understand but suggested it was not anything BT set up automatically and was something someone else had set up. However after reading this forum i am am not so sure.  my accounts look the same as the screen shots above. Hopefully these are not something suspicious ?.  Do BT offer a two step verification process when signing in to e mail to offer better security ?

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 21

Go to solution

Your email address xxxx@btinternet and xxxx@btopenworld are interchangeable and there is nothing wrong with seeing both and you can in fact use either to send and receive emails.

If I remember correctly you would have been given the email address when you first signed up with BT,which at that time was affiliated with Yahoo hence the Yahoo reference number.

Just to be sure however, I have asked the moderators of the forum to comment . 

0 Ratings