Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SusieC
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

Can't find a server since last Sunday

Go to solution

I am a volunteer remote admin for an internet non-profit resource in the USA. As such I need to be able to access that server remotely, get mail and work on the web.

Last Sunday I suddenly lost conectivity and if I use the domain name it can't be found even using traceroute.

I can access this server if I change my DNS to the Google public DNS servers, but then I lose the ability to connect to anything else.

Obviously this is a DNS issue.

I have a HH5 and no feature to switch my DNS to manual (home user with dynamic IP) so I've only been able to change DNS servers in TCP properties on my computer.

Is this a problem with BT DNS or a fault with my HH5?

Obviously it is very annoying and time-consuming to change DNS in my adapter properties several times a day.

I've been a BT BB customer for over 6 years and had Infinity since it became available in my area and have never had this problem before.

Does anybody have an idea what I can do?

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
pippincp
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Can't find a server since last Sunday

Go to solution

Get a decent modem/router combo that will allow you to do what you need.

Once youve changed DNS on your PC you shouldn't need to change it back.

0 Ratings
SusieC
Beginner
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution
I can't understand why the Google DNS only works for the server in the USA I manage, why BT DNS suddenly stopped working for that domain only just over 8 days ago, or why the Google DNS only works for that domain, can't find any other at all, not even Google. I've been using the HH5 since I switched to Infinity, but always bought configurable routers when I was on ADSL, usually Netgear. Can anyone recommend a good, cheap router that's easy to set up? As I'm retired and just about manage on my pension I can't afford to spend much on a router. I have several ADSL routers in good working order but they're no good for FTTC and I've never even set up a router for fibre, having had an engineer install of both internet and TV. In theory changing my DSN on my PC should work, but it only does so for the domain I manage. I am thinking of changing ISP although in every other way I find BT good. The main reason why I haven't is because I get TV as well and the two providers that give TV are ones I don't want to go near. I have several jobs that need RDP and the only services I need and haven't found a work-around (browser-based proxy) are RDP and FTP. Because this is a new problem for me and happened suddenly I wondered if it could be a faulty router or a DNS error (my HH5 takes a long time to sync after a reboot). Apart from this one difficulty I'm happy with everything. So please, can you recommend a router that is cheap and allows manual setting of DNS. I can't afford much and don't want to risk buying something that doesn't solve the problem.
0 Ratings
pippincp
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

A quick look on Amazon revealed these

Archer VR900 £100
netgear AC1900 £120
Linksys AC750 £50 (only 5 left)

You may see better prices on a well known auction site or in the January sales.

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Guru
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution

Another cheaper one that many here use is the TP-Link TD-W9980 £60-70

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

@TimCurtis wrote:

Another cheaper one that many here use is the TP-Link TD-W9980 £60-70

It used to be about that price but is now obsolescent and is oddly over £100. There is also some doubt if firmware to support native IPv6 with /56 PD will be forthcoming for it.

0 Ratings
SusieC
Beginner
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution

I spent almost an hour on the phone to BT yesterday, supposed to be the rechnical department but he dodn't know what an IP address was! Looking at my HH5 it seems I have DNS that's not as it should be, but there is a report of a service problem in my area and yesterday evening my landline was breaking up intermittantly.

Anyway, I've just ordered a modem/router in the hope it works woth my fibre and YouView.

It's a TP-Link N300 and cost £32 so I won't lose much id it doesn't work and should eother solve my curent problem or give me a spare if it's a BT fault.

If nothing works and I still have this problem I've found a reasonable alternative ISP but I don't really want to move. To start with the activation fee isn'r smal and I may have to buy another Youview box although I'm guessing BT wouldn't want mine back after several years. That provider claims it uses google public DNS.

Thanks for the advise.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

@SusieC

The TP-Link N300  will not work, as its only a wireless router and would need an Openreach modem in front of it, so I suggest that you cancel the order.

You need a VDSL modem/router not a cable/optic router.

The specification is misleading as it says fibre optic broadband. That is only the case where you had an Openreach modem. They are no longer provided anymore by Openreach.

0 Ratings
SusieC
Beginner
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

This one says it is a VDSL modem-router. I've also read reports that it does work with BT fibre, but if it doesn't I'l send it back as not as described. I bought it because it was one of the cheapest, the alternative, a Lynksys, having reviews saying that one doesn't work.

The specs are:

• Featuring dual wan ports, compatible with vdsl/adsl/fiber/cable services providing broadband speeds up to 100mbps over vdsl2 and backward compatible with adsl share files, media and printers with your friends or family using the multi-functional USB port.
  • Wireless standards b/g/n.
  • 4 x rj45 ports, 1 rj11 port and 1 USB 2.0 port.
  • Transfer speed up to N300Mbps.

So if it turns our ro be useless I'll be little worse off than I am now.

I can see that the TP-LINK 300MBPS WiFi USB VDSL Modem Router would be no good, so I hope that this one, described as 'TP-LINK's TD-W9970, comes with the latest ITU-T G.993.2 VDSL2 standard' works.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

The 9970 will be fine.

0 Ratings