cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dino-Saur
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Can't get a signal in Croatia

My brother has just arrived in Croatia on a holiday. He has a Motorola 4G phone but can't get a signal. He has a data roaming package but can't access the internet, send email, messages etc. Data roaming is activated on the phone. 

Does he have to switch networks to BT's local partner or is this done automatically once he arrives. Any other suggestions ?

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Can't get a signal in Croatia

Did he activate International calls, via his MyBT mobile  account before he left the UK?

0 Ratings
Dino-Saur
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Where is this shown in the BT Mobile section.

Can this be done now or is it too late ?

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

Its under "manage your mobile", its probably too late now, but you could try.

0 Ratings
Dino-Saur
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 12

Finally managed to get a signal after two days.

However, still no data roaming after five days even though a package was bought beforehand and data roaming is switched on on the phone - having to use local Wi-fi which is not ideal.

In BT's help guide it states "So right from the off, your BT Mobile SIM is already set up for dialling or using abroad – you don't need to call us or do anything to activate it." Both phone and SIM are only a month old.

So why isn't data roaming working after five days - any suggestions ?

0 Ratings
MikeToll
Contributor
Message 6 of 12

...resurrecting this appropriately titled thread after the same problem in Croatia last week ...

I had 'Mobile data' set 'on', 'Data Roaming' set 'on' and 'Network mode' left set to 'LTE/3G/2G (auto connect)'.

The phone connected to "HT HR" and showed an "R" data roaming icon showing.

I could use voice and messages okay but not data services for internet connection.

BT say roaming is available as default (as detailed by Dino-Saur above).

It seems reasonable to assume 'HT HR' is 'HRVATSKI TELEKOM'

Looking on the web now, the area I was in looks to have 4G coverage by 'HRVATSKI TELEKOM'.

Croatia isn't on the BT list of countries where I'd need to switch manually to use 3G.

Any thoughts on where I might be going wrong?

0 Ratings
RubyM
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Hi, if everything's correct on the account. I.E. no bars etc.

Then going to your APN setting and removing the bt.com re typing saving turn phone off and on and the reset should refresh the network for data.

Something that can affect data useage is phone unlocked (when a store does it without the unlock code all they do is remove the files which have access codes in)

There are issues with iPhones that have been jail broke the data files become corrupt.

Also o fix further the actual message you get when you try to text or use the internet is really important to fix the issue.
0 Ratings
MikeToll
Contributor
Message 8 of 12

Thanks for the reply RubyM.

I've had a look in my APN settings and there's no sign of "bt.com" in there.

Under Access Point Names I have options for 'Internet' (everywhere) and 'MMS' (eezone) and none of the APN settings under 'Internet' show "bt.com".

0 Ratings
RubyM
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 12

Hi EE is everything everywhere which is the network BT use. However if your roaming and have got EE details and not BTS your not going to have roaming permissions. What phone are you using please. I'll look for the link to do a manual set up. Sending the settings via a BT adviser won't work as you won't get the message through with no data.
MikeToll
Contributor
Message 10 of 12

Thanks RubyM - I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini running Android 6.0.1.

Presumably there's thouasands of others in this situation who could benefit from this knowledge?

I don't recall seeing anything about this during setup or my research.

0 Ratings