cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Can't get good fibre speeds when quoted by new ISP when trying to switch away from virgin

I am currently with virgin media fibre, my contract is up and it is now double the price. I am trying to leave yet when I receive quotes of speed from other ISP using open reach it is 3-6 Mbps. Yet I have previously been with sky and bt and received fibre speeds with each of them. When I try my neighbours house, they are quoted 30 to 40 Mbps by ISP using open open reach.

I feel like a bloody broadband prisoner and cannot move away from virgin. Why are my quoted speeds a) lower than what they were previously, b) slower than my neighbours. 

It is obviously something to do with my virgin line when I switched from open reach last year?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Can't get good fibre speeds when quoted by new ISP when trying to switch away from virgin

Virgin has its own independant DOCSIS network. As such Openreach has no record of your connection. Use the address checker here. https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL 

As an aside, have you called retentions at VM (select thinking of leaving us) to discuss a better deal?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Re: Can't get good fibre speeds when quoted by new ISP when trying to switch away from virgin

Screenshot_20200811-214415.png

Confused as I previously had fibre speeds connection with bt and sky prior to moving to virgin.

Now the qouted speed to any open reach provider is 3 to 6 Mbps with a guarantee of 1..

My neighbors get proper speeds when I look at qoutes with their address. The link says the exact same as it does for neighbors interns of compatible connections.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Given that you want to ditch VM, who is it you would like to supply your ( Openreach based ) service ?.

The fibre cab is ‘waiting list’, so it’s effecting at capacity, so unless more capacity is added or someone with FTTC ceases their service, you won’t be able to order FTTC from anyone

Message 5 of 9

You have a problem as there is a waiting list on your cabinet and therefore the best you can get currently is old adsl hence the low speeds. Until there is a slot available on the cabinet you cannot get fibre connection

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 6 of 9

Well that's annoying. So at the mercy of virgin or otherwise unusable broadband speeds because I switched to virgin and presumably somebody took the slot.

You would think that the cabinets would have sufficient capacity for the amount of properties using it.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Talk to retentions and see if you can get a better deal.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Having a slot for every customer on that cabinet does not make economic spence as not all want fibre connection and also other use Virgin like yourself

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

I'm a Virgin user too! Have a 100Mb connection at less than BT or any other ISP can provide.

0 Ratings