cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Can't move from BT Infinity to Plusnet ADSL???

I've spent the last few days on the phone every night to BT and Plusnet. My current deal with BT runs out in a week and I am unhappy with a 50% increase in charges for my existing package. I'm not too bothered about the speed of Infinity (I only have it due to a free upgrade) so I want to move to Plusnet ADSL at £2.99 a month.

BT told me that it would be against the fair trade and freedom of movement regulations if they made it difficult to move from fibre broadband with BT to ADSL broadband with another supplier. However, when I put my phone number in on the Plusnet website it detects that I have fibre and only offers me the fibre broadband packages. I asked Plusnet about this and they say that they are unable to transfer me from BT fibre to their ADSL products because the BT Wholesale system will not allow them to do so. They say that my only option would be to have a new line installed, which I would have to pay for and do not want.

Does anybody know how I can resolve this? Are BT (or BT Wholesale) breaching the regulations by making it difficult to downgrade when moving to another supplier?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 2 of 8

Re: Can't move from BT Infinity to Plusnet ADSL???

Thinking out loud here so bear with me, if you asked BT to cease the connection (rather than migrate), once this had been processed the Plusnet checker wouldn't detect an existing fibre connection, so would that then allow you to move to ADSL? It would mean some downtime but if it means you can do what you want?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

I could do that but it would cost £30 to end service, then I would have to pay for reconnection. I was also told by BT that I would have a tag on my line for a month and would not be able to get reconnected until that was cleared.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 8

Last night I spoke to a guy at BT who said that he would transfer me to BT easy assist who should be able to advise be on the issue of transferring provider and downgrading from Fibre to Copper broadband. Before he transferred me I asked if alternatively I could downgrade from fibre to copper with BT, without having to take out a new 12 month contract. He said, sure no problem. So I said I may come back to that idea. He transferred me and after sitting in a queue for a long while I hung up and decided to leave it for this evening.

So this evening I get through to the customer options team. I say I would like to downgrade from fibre to copper without having a new extended contract. The guy says that he cannot do that as he would only be able to give me a new service with a 12 month contract. He looks into it with his manager, given what I was told yesterday, and then says he would speak with the Easy Assist team for me. After sitting on hold for a while he comes back on the line and says he has made notes on my account but would have to leave me to wait for Easy Assist because they had not yet answered. So in the end I sit on the phone for 45 minutes at which point it hits 8pm and I get a message saying they close at 8pm and I get cut off!

I really hope a mod on here can help me get this sorted?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

When a moderator reads this they may be able to help. They are a BT UK based team and if they can help they will reply via this post.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 8

Hi swhiddett,

I'm really sorry to hear about the problems you have recently experienced. Please use the 'contact the mods' link in my forum profile under the 'about me' section to send in your details. You can find the link by clicking on my username.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 8

I sincerely hope you can resolve this swhiddett. Please post back.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

The forum mods normally reply within3/5 working days after you have contacted them. Personally to  you by email or phone 

0 Ratings