cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jobarton72
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Can't set up btemail on Outlook 2016 on new laptop

Also having problems setting up Outlook 2016 with my btinternet.com address on my new Lenovo laptop.  Have checked all the imap settings / incoming and outgoing server etc - but it won't recognise my username and password when it asks 'Enter your user name and password for the following server'  I'm using my bt user name (email adress) and bt password.  Rang bt tech support but they couldn't help and that it was probably a laptop issue!!  Don't think so. I've looked at the account settings on my old laptop (where it is working in Outlook) and made sure the settings are the same but still not working.  The only difference I can think of is that I recently changed my bt password and the password used (in account setttings) against the account which is working will now be different to the one I am entering in the new laptop. 

Any ideas?  I've already spent 9 hours on this.....

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: Can't set up btemail on Outlook 2016 on new laptop

What are you using as the incoming & outgoing mail servers?

Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Hi- Ive tried imap.mail.yahoo.com/ smtp.mail.yahoo.com as well as mail.btinternet.com/ mail.btinternet.com (which is what the account details of the working laptop uses)  I have had a pop-up saying your btinternet account settings are out of date, but I don't know what it wants me to update.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

Are you sure you are using your email password and not your MyBT/BTID password?  Is the working laptop using Outlook 2016 or an earlier version? As a test, you could try the settings using a different email client such as Thunderbird or Claws mail just to verify if it is a BT problem or Outlook.

0 Ratings
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 9

@jobarton72 wrote:

Hi- Ive tried imap.mail.yahoo.com/ smtp.mail.yahoo.com as well as mail.btinternet.com/ mail.btinternet.com (which is what the account details of the working laptop uses)  I have had a pop-up saying your btinternet account settings are out of date, but I don't know what it wants me to update.

Hi, welcome to the forums.

I suggest you delete the account in O2016 and add again. (If you've tried adding as pop3 account, I don't think it always works changing to imap or vice versa)

I can't recall seeing a pop-up you've said, which to me indicates an underlying settings issue not specifically aimed at the BTinternet email address.

As a minimum, re-check the port (993) and SSL for imap, smtp should be port 465 and SSL. Use mail.btinternet.com, not the yahoo ones (unless you are on BTYahoo still, and mail.btinternet.com isn't working well for you). Also make sure you're using your full btinternet email address as the login name with the associated password for that email address.

If webmail works, then it's either a settings issue - or could be an imap/pop3 access failure (usually a fleeting issue of a few hours to as few days!)

0 Ratings
jobarton72
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

Thanks everyone- I may not be using the right password, I'm using BT login password, but I can't remember the email password so guess will have to contact BT to reset? 

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

You can reset it here using the forgotten password link.

0 Ratings
MNarshall
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

This is not a new problem and has nothing to do with you personally. BT should resolve the issue, given that Outlook is hardly a minor player in the mail client market. I've just set up a new laptop and so far I've wasted 3 hours trying to establish my BT mail account. From past experience, the problem will randomly disappear and the account details will suddenly be accepted.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

Obviously it is not a new problem and has been going on for years as can be seen by this thread which is dating from two years ago!

0 Ratings