Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
runner_bean
Contributor
Message 1 of 17

Can't set up new email sub-account

Go to solution

I would like to be able to set up a new email sub-account.  I've logged into my top level BT Yahoo email account OK and selected Account Info under the gear wheel, and get a verify password dialogue (all as advised on the relevant help page).  I enter the correct password and then get a CAPTCHA dialogue consisting of moving text waving up and down behind other moving random text (NOT mentioned in the help pages!).  I enter the appropriate text and press 'Continue'...and nothing happens.  It should go through to dialogues allowing me to manage my sub-accounts, but it doesn't.

Am I doing something wrong?  I have tried clearing the browser cache and repeated the process about four times with always the same result.

Any help much appreciated.  The Indian call centre were not able to help.

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 17

Re: Can't set up new email sub-account

Go to solution

Are you sure it's your Primary account you are logging in with, you get the captcha dialogue and nothing afterwards if you are logged in on a sub-account.

0 Ratings
runner_bean
Contributor
Message 3 of 17

Go to solution

Thanks for the comment licquorice.  I'm using the account that is stated on my BT Broadband paperwork as being my username and is also the one that I use to access BT Fon.  But is there a way I can check its the Prmary one?  It's also the account that the folks in India contacted me on when I rang them yesterday, but do I do use another account more frequently.

0 Ratings
runner_bean
Contributor
Message 4 of 17

Go to solution

Further update licquorice.

After your comment I tried logging in this time using my most frequently used email address and this time I got in WITHOUT the captcha.  I tried some other email addresses I have and they gave me the captcha (which stll goes nowhere) - very strange and confusing.

So my most frequently used email must now be my Primary one - I can cope with that and have recorded it.  But I have a new problem!  Once into the Account Info page after logging in I try to go to the Sub-Accounts dialogue but all it does is take me back to the BT.Com home page with a link address of http://home.bt.com/#sa.  Is there something new I am doing wrong?

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 17

Go to solution
Very strange. I'm afraid I haven't got any suggestions other than hopefully a mod will pick this up and help. The account seems to be confused as to your primary address.
0 Ratings
runner_bean
Contributor
Message 6 of 17

Go to solution

Thanks again licquorice.  I fiddled about again and eventually found the 'My Account and Billing' page.  Under 'Accounts' it lists the email I was then logged in through (my most used one) and then under that my 'Primary-id account' (which is the one on my broadband paperwork, but which I can't log in through).  So I think you are right, it all confused.

I hope someone can help!

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 17

Go to solution

I really am at a loss to understand why on earth BT insist on muddling account management with email. It is bizarre in the extreme to log in to webmail via one email address in order to perform account management functions on another email address, account management and email are 2 completely separate functions. If BT did things sensibly, this whole concept of 'Primary' email and sub accounts is totallly unnecessary. The BT account holder should have access to MYBT (or whatever you want to call it) by means of a username and password, not an email address. Once in the account, all forms of administration can then be carried out including setting an email address for correspondence, access to BTFON etc. Further email addresses could also be set up for users under the account management. Notice at no time with my suggestion has the user need to enter WEBMAIL to administer an account.

0 Ratings
Nantybig
Contributor
Message 8 of 17

Go to solution

The BT account holder should have access to MYBT (or whatever you want to call it) by means of a username and password, not an email address. Once in the account, all forms of administration can then be carried out including setting an email address for correspondence, access to BTFON etc. Further email addresses could also be set up for users under the account management.

Ahhhhhhhhhh Licquorice, that is how us poor minions without a raft of letters behind our names would do it, I think simple logic is the word.

However, as in many walks of life today there are those with supposed qualifications and exerience who, in developing systems etc, appear to want to stamp a bit of their selves in whatever they do, by showing how they can deal with and produce complex systems......................................... when a simple one would suffice.

A simple analogy.

Remember the Americans spending millions of dollars and wasting thousnds of man hours developing a biro that would write in zero gravity......................... the Russians decided a pencil was best. Smiley Very Happy

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 17

Go to solution

@Nantybig wrote:

Remember the Americans spending millions of dollars and wasting thousnds of man hours developing a biro that would write in zero gravity......................... the Russians decided a pencil was best. Smiley Very Happy

Indeed I do, very apt. Smiley HappySmiley Happy

0 Ratings
wedd1ng528
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 17

Go to solution

I log into MyBT using a username that is not my e-mail address and password that is different from my e-mail password. I think it might be down to how you initially set up your "MyBT" account. I seem to recall that it said words to the effect that "Enter username (normally your e-mail address)". ie it does not have to be your e-mail address. And "Enter password (normally your e-mail password)". ie it does not have to be the same as your e-mail password.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Mistakes and embarrasing goofs in e-mails are only discovered when you've sent them!
0 Ratings