cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 3

Can't share files between XP and Windows 7. McAfee?

Added a Windows 7 laptop to my network which is based on a Windows XP Home SP3 desktop. Having followed all the help on both m/cs, searched this forum and tried the hint given to Stephen Draper last year (http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-7/share-files-and-printers-between-windows-7-and-xp/)

I can see both computers in BT Broadband Help on the desktop and also in 'Network' on the laptop. I've clicked on all the permissions for home networking - and still I can't see any shared files between the two m/cs.

I wonder if it's McAfee that's blocking the exchange, because it has taken over all Windows firewall functions.  I've looked at the list of McAfee exclusions and it seems OK (not that I really understand it) and in any case it won't let me add to it.

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
geaves
Expert
Message 2 of 3

Re: Can't share files between XP and Windows 7. McAfee?

@Alan_Batchelor wrote:

Added a Windows 7 laptop to my network which is based on a Windows XP Home SP3 desktop. Having followed all the help on both m/cs, searched this forum and tried the hint given to Stephen Draper last year (http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-7/share-files-and-printers-between-windows-7-and-xp/)

I can see both computers in BT Broadband Help on the desktop and also in 'Network' on the laptop. I've clicked on all the permissions for home networking - and still I can't see any shared files between the two m/cs.

I wonder if it's McAfee that's blocking the exchange, because it has taken over all Windows firewall functions.  I've looked at the list of McAfee exclusions and it seems OK (not that I really understand it) and in any case it won't let me add to it.

What you have done so far appears to be correct, however, and I dont know why, I pointed a friend of mine to here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc749119%28WS.10%29.aspx as the issue is not just a simple networking setup.

If all your machines are running McAfee then you be able to 'trust' each pc on the network from McAfee.

0 Ratings
wedd1ng528
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 3

Re: Can't share files between XP and Windows 7. McAfee?

I used to have much the same problem with a desktop running XP and a laptop running win 7. Sometimes the network would be fine and I could see my shares on both machines other times I could only see them when I rebooted one or both PCs. Sometimes it just wouldn't work and the machines would not see each other or one machine would see the other but the other just seemed to live in isolation.

I did many, many searches for fixes and spent many hours following the settings given in various web sites but nothing seemed to work for very long.  Eventually I bit the bullet and installed win 7 on the desktop and used the win 7 Homegroup structure. since then everything has worked fine and dandy (best part of a year now) - even with different firewalls on each machine.

I know it seems like an expensive option but it certainly worked for me.

wedding

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Mistakes and embarrasing goofs in e-mails are only discovered when you've sent them!
0 Ratings