cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jennifer992
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Can't switch youview box on DTR-T1000 - please advise

I've been having problems with my youview box for about 3 weeks now - most of the time it won't switch on after it's been in standby mode (neither with remote or front power button) .  At first, switching it off at the rear helped and/or, but now it doesn't - or at least only very occasionally.

I had an engineer booked for tomorrow but then (of course) the box switched on so I had to cancel as I really don't have £130.  This morning, again, it won't switch on.

I have previously tried rebooting by holding the front power button and have carried out the software reset in maintenance mode.  They didn't make any difference.

I have also tried different sockets and different extension leads from different sockets.  Other appliances work in the same sockets.

My question is should I try the other options on the maintenance mode list?

I've only had the box and BT TV since February, and apart from always saying 'rec' on the front screen and now saying 'full' when there is 73% space, it has worked ok.  I feel upset that I'm having so many problems and may have to pay £130 when it's such a new product.

Please help.

Thanks very much.

Jenny

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
zulu17
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 5

Re: Can't switch youview box on DTR-T1000 - please advise

Jenny - welcome to the forum

First the simple bit - your front panel display concerns

full refers to the  resolution output being at full resolution  ie 1080p and not a reference to disk space.

the rec always on is a bug which Youview say doesn't affect normal box working.

see

https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/full_and_rec_permanently_on

Now the more difficult and serious part.

Your recent experience with box failing to start correctly from standby suggests to me that your box could well be reaching the point where it will require replacement. So if there are any recordings that you really want to watch I suggest you do so before any replacement.

I recommend that you advise BT in writing (email) - use the Contact us button link at the top of this forum - choose Problem with BT TV -email us .

If possible  include a list or time line of when the box failed to start , how you recovered , when you did the maintenance mode reset. Then I  suggest you add that you conclusion is that the box probably requires repair/replacement and see what their response is.

As to what further resets you could do 

https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/top_tip_soft_reset_reboot_power_cycling_maintenance_mod...

Personally I would do a second   maintenance mode resets (preserving recordings) and then  if that failed to clear issues ultimately a factory reset ( losing recordings). However I fear that no matter how mant resets you do the box will sadly require repair/replacemen.

0 Ratings
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 5

This sounds like the ongoing problem with these boxes failing over time (my trial box lasted two years) which I suspect is the PSU capacitors failing causing out of spec voltages and random symptoms before eventually going phut completely. Not unique to Youview boxes but you would have hoped they would have had better QC to avoid using dodgy caps in the first place.
0 Ratings
Jennifer992
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 5

Thank you for your reply.

Thanks for explaining the 'full' and 'rec' issues - that's good to know!  The maintenance mode bit is helpful too.

Sounds like the box is in trouble.  Only problem is, I can't switch it on at the moment to carry out the resets.  Luckily I have kept a log of what happened when so I will write via the 'contact us' button as you suggest.  The call centre could only suggest an engineer (as I couldn't switch on when we were on the phone) but I am too worried about the fee especially if I haven't tried all the resets.  Seems like a bit of a vicious circle and of course I can't record or watch anything.

Jenny

0 Ratings
Jennifer992
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 5

@gomezz

Thanks for your reply. Hopefully something will be sorted out soon, especially as the box is still under warranty.
0 Ratings