Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 11 of 26

Re: Can't sync to Win 10 mail app

@SpottyDog wrote:

Hi Andy

Yes it is definitly BTMail logo when I log into webmail, when I go to Add Account in the app I use the Other account POP.IMAP option.

Rather than that option, use the next one down Advanced setup.

Although for me I can use either option, and both work - you're right that it sticks wrongly the yahoo servers. Clearly windows 10 doesn't know what it's doing. It should never use the yahoo servers, because for BTMail users - it will fail.

I bet that a lot of win10 users on BTMail have either had massive problems, contacted various people (including paying people), as well as perhaps giving up completely.

Anyway, use the Advanced setup.

0 Ratings
SpottyDog
Aspiring Expert
Message 12 of 26

Hi Andy

Tried that same result, I think I'll accept defeat and carry on using  the bt website to access my email, thanks for all your help.

Happy Christmas

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 26

@SpottyDog No need. Just download Claws mail and use that instead of the W10 app.

0 Ratings
Andy005
Recognised Expert
Message 14 of 26

Hi @SpottyDog, I have been having the same problem but thanks to @Andy_N's advice on page 1 I now have access to BT email through Windows 10 Mail.

Make sure that when in the Advanced setup, the email and username are your full email address, ie the same in both fields. I suspect this is where people make a mistake because usually the username is upto '@'.

It's worth trying again because it does actually work.

Thanks @Andy_Nfor the advice, it's a pity that BT's own help pages are so poor when it comes to Win 10, I came across a mention of BT email not working with Win 8 but that was it. 

0 Ratings
SpottyDog
Aspiring Expert
Message 15 of 26

Hi Andy005

Yes, I've tried that as well, I still can't get it to sync, I might give the Claws Mail a try like some of the guys have said.

Glad to here you got it to work for you.

0 Ratings
Tev
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 26

Hi

I'm with BTYahoo mail, and have been for over 20 years. I can understand why BT have introduced a time out for security reasons, I just wish they had publicised that they were about to do it.

I therefore decided to try and use an email client on my PC and went thro' the set up procedure for the Windows 10 email app.

They give a choice of various clients but not BT, although they do show Yahoo. I therefore chose 'other' and entered all the details as required. It worked perfectly, it syncs to my webmail, ie deleting an email in either programme deletes it in the other one, all my  folders are there and although it is obviously a different layout to that I'm used to it could grow on me.

However just a couple of queries, firstly looking at the set up details, in the mail server details it has 'mail.yahoo.com' instead of 'mail.btinternet.com' and the ports are shown as 993.1 and 465.1, everything seems to work ok but could this cause a problem?

Secondly, in my webmail the spam filter works very well and the emails that appear in the spam inbox are usually just that, however there are sometimes the odd one or two which aren't spam, and in webmail I can move them into my inbox to read them.  

The MS email doesn't seem to download the spam emails and so I could be missing some emails that I would like to have seen. Am I doing something wrong or is there a setting I can change to download spam emails to a separate inbox in the MS mail?

Terry 

I,ve just found that the spam emails are downloaded to a folder marked as 'Bulk Mail' in the Windows email client. 

0 Ratings
SpottyDog
Aspiring Expert
Message 17 of 26

Hi Terry

Yes, I've tried all the options, still no joy, I tried again this morning after your post incase I had miss something but to no avail.

0 Ratings
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 18 of 26

@Tev wrote:

Hi

I'm with BTYahoo mail, and have been for over 20 years. I can understand why BT have introduced a time out for security reasons, I just wish they had publicised that they were about to do it.

Can you confirm what you mean by a timeout?

I therefore decided to try and use an email client on my PC and went thro' the set up procedure for the Windows 10 email app.

They give a choice of various clients but not BT, although they do show Yahoo. I therefore chose 'other' and entered all the details as required. It worked perfectly, it syncs to my webmail, ie deleting an email in either programme deletes it in the other one, all my  folders are there and although it is obviously a different layout to that I'm used to it could grow on me.

Rather than choosing "other", it's best to pick Advanced setup - which is a scroll down below Other account

However just a couple of queries, firstly looking at the set up details, in the mail server details it has 'mail.yahoo.com' instead of 'mail.btinternet.com' and the ports are shown as 993.1 and 465.1, everything seems to work ok but could this cause a problem?

Yes this can cause a problem, since users on BTMail will fail. Hence choose Advanced setup and enter the details as I explained in message 6 of this topic.

Secondly, in my webmail the spam filter works very well and the emails that appear in the spam inbox are usually just that, however there are sometimes the odd one or two which aren't spam, and in webmail I can move them into my inbox to read them.  

The MS email doesn't seem to download the spam emails and so I could be missing some emails that I would like to have seen. Am I doing something wrong or is there a setting I can change to download spam emails to a separate inbox in the MS mail?

Terry 

I,ve just found that the spam emails are downloaded to a folder marked as 'Bulk Mail' in the Windows email client. 

This is only available if choosing IMAP access rather than POP. Yahoo removed the forwarding of the spam folder sometime ago. The Bulk Mail folder is not shown by default, but clicking the Folder word - it shows All folders. You can right click the Bulk Mail folder and add to favourites, and it will show in the main list with Inbox, Drafts etc.

(I'm not sure about the Bulk Mail folder in BTMail and how it's presented within the win10 client).

0 Ratings
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 19 of 26

@SpottyDog wrote:

Hi Terry

Yes, I've tried all the options, still no joy, I tried again this morning after your post incase I had miss something but to no avail.

From your other posts, it seem like something is interferring with your access - possibly windows 10 security or another product. What anti-virus or security package do you use?

When you login to windows 10, do you use an email address to do it or a simple name? (Not even sure that's relevant in this case 🙂 )

The other thing that did cross my mind, though it's probably not the case anymore - there used to be Basic email addresses, and these only allowed for webmail access and not pop3 access. Not sure how to check for this anymore. However, these accounts were not general ones and shouldn't be associated with primary/sub accounts.

0 Ratings
SpottyDog
Aspiring Expert
Message 20 of 26

Hi Andy-N

I only use BT Net Protect Plus at the moment, I tried switching off all security features and tried setting up W10 Mail but I got the same result as before.  Setting up Gmail was easy, it seems like its a BT issue on my PC.

0 Ratings