cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Expert
Message 1 of 13

Can't understand BT Cloud

Go to solution

I have 1GB of BT Cloud space, empty.  I have 240Gb of stuff I want off my hard drive and I don't have enough space there to create a sync folder.

How do I simply transfer the 240Gb to the cloud so that in due course I can bring bits back to work on?  I don't want to back up anything - just move it off for the time being.  I

(And how long will it take to move 240Gb on Infinity 2 (@20Mb upload speed)?).

Geoff

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 13

Re: Can't understand BT Cloud

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Expert
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution

Thanks for that.  No, it doesn't touch teh problem.  I don't have space to have two copies of everything. It won't let me just send the folders to the cloud, it says I don't have enough space on the PC (which is why I want to do this).  It won't let me send whole folders either.  So I might have to send it all in dribs and drabs but I suspect that when I delete them from the BT Cloud folder on the PC they will also get deleted in the cloud. So the Cloud is only back up, not storage.

Geoff

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

@gspearson wrote:

Thanks for that.  No, it doesn't touch teh problem.  I don't have space to have two copies of everything. It won't let me just send the folders to the cloud, it says I don't have enough space on the PC (which is why I want to do this).  It won't let me send whole folders either.  So I might have to send it all in dribs and drabs but I suspect that when I delete them from the BT Cloud folder on the PC they will also get deleted in the cloud. So the Cloud is only back up, not storage.

Geoff

There's a subtle difference if you upload files from the BT Cloud web application.....

Your files are uploaded without storing on the device.

However, you still need a good and reliable connection to the web to either upload or retrieve those files.

Can't beat a good external USB drive on a Windows PC!

With many new PCs being sold with around 256 GByte static memory instead of hard drives, an external hard drive is going to be essential.

That's not to mention another problem, where PCs are sold without even a DVD drive. Then you have to buy an external DVD drive.

Expert
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution

@Ribblelancs Thanks.  I've just tried the web application and that seems to require sending files, not folders, so I don't see that I can keep my folder structure using that.  I do have a spare 500Gb hdd so I might just install that to clear the space in my 1Tb main drive.

To explain, I've been taking daily timelapse videos of a demolition and construction project, which generate 1Gb a day - a folder a fortnight.  I want to edit these down and soon discard about 90% of them (when nothing was happeinng).

Geoff

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

@gspearson wrote:

@Ribblelancs Thanks.  I've just tried the web application and that seems to require sending files, not folders, so I don't see that I can keep my folder structure using that.  I do have a spare 500Gb hdd so I might just install that to clear the space in my 1Tb main drive.

To explain, I've been taking daily timelapse videos of a demolition and construction project, which generate 1Gb a day - a folder a fortnight.  I want to edit these down and soon discard about 90% of them (when nothing was happeinng).

Geoff

Just picked up your notification on the iPad, which is set with a chime when new mail arrives. Smiley Happy

There’s talk on the forums of using an external hard drive to locate the BT Cloud sync folder.

I haven’t tried it though.

Another approach which, I have tried, is to bundle up files in a zip folder, so far only small scale. Then you can upload.

I use BT Cloud and MS One Drive for uploading and updating data log files for a weather station.

Both require a sync folder

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution

@Ribblelancs I'll just connect up my spare 500Gb drive - I was being lazy and greedy, tantalised by the prospect of 1Tb free space, which now seems to be not much use, if it means holding perhaps 3 copies of the files.

Geoff

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

@gspearson wrote:

@Ribblelancs I'll just connect up my spare 500Gb drive - I was being lazy and greedy, tantalised by the prospect of 1Tb free space, which now seems to be not much use, if it means holding perhaps 3 copies of the files.

Geoff

The best feature of BT Cloud, which beats most others for simplicity, is the file sharing option, where you can send a link to friends and family.

They do the downloading from the link you post!

Much simpler than Google, or MS file sharing options.

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

I have iCloud - seems fun except there is no way to bulk delete photos to make space.  Every system has a peculiarity, presumably to stop you using it.  I like iCloud - when I take a photo on my iPhone it apears on my PC within minutes without asking. 

Geoff

0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

I presume that you mean you have 1000GB of empty BTCloud space: you will have trouble finding any application that will store 240GB of data in 1GB of space!  😉

Install the BTCloud application on your PC.

Reboot the PC.  The rest is from memory, as I am not at my own PC at the moment, so some details might be out.

In the task tray (bottom right corner) you should see the BT Cloud icon.  Click that and select "Dashboard".  When that opens there is an option to select folders or files to backup.

Now, I know that you say you don't want to backup anything, but a backup is just an offline copy, which IS what you want to create.

Let the BT Cloud app complete the backup, which will take a while - see below.

Once you have completed the backup, check that the files are in the Cloud using the web app.  Once there, you can delete the folders and files on your PC to free up space on the host machine.  Everything is still in the Cloud.

It wouldn't be much of a backup service if it deleted everything in the Cloud just because you accidentally deleted something on the source machine!  The usual complaint in this forum is that the BT Cloud makes new copies every time a file changes and never deletes any of them from the Cloud, quickly using up the allocation.  😉

As and when you want to restore a particular file or folder, simply mark that on the Web app to restore it.

To backup 240GB of data on a 20Mb uplink?  240 x 8 x 1000 / 20 = 96,000 seconds = 26hr 40min.  Add 10% for overheads such as checksum and packets that need resent.  More if you use the connection for other things at the same time.

Personally, I wouldn't rely on just the Cloud though.  If you have a separate hard drive, backup to that as the first step.  Use the Cloud as a second backup.  A safeguard that is too slow to use regularly, but will get you out of a fix if a disaster happens - such as a hurricane blows your house away.

0 Ratings