Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
xxxxSMITHYxxxx
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Can we get fater than 80Meg?

Hi all.

I was woundering if BT are planning any speed incress soon as i would like to join BT but 80meg is just not rerally good enough, When the likes of Virgin can provide 150meg+

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
jac_95
Guru
Guru
Message 2 of 11

Re: Can we get fater than 80Meg?

Hi xxxxSMITHYxxxx,

At this current time FTTC is an up to 80mbps service, there are improvements being developed and trailed, but they may take years to be implemented as the standard.

However if you live in an area where Openreach have deployed FTTP then you could get upto 330mbps.

There is a FTTPoD (Fibre to the Premises on Demand) service available in some areas that have FTTC, which is where you pay (can be £Thousands) for FTTP to be deployed to your property.

You can check via the http://dslchecker.bt.com/adsl checker to see if FTTPoD is an available service to your property.

The baseline FTTPoD Openreach costs can be found here: http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/products/pricing/loadProductPriceDetails.do?data=0WyIM7tTGGgucF...

Please be aware that ISPs may add more costs upon the installation and service charges. Also BT Retail Residential doesn't support the FTTPoD service however BT Business may.

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
xxxxSMITHYxxxx
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

Does anybody know anything else

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

Out of interest what are you going to be doing that 80Mbps is not good enough for?

0 Ratings
Soyuz
Contributor
Message 5 of 11

Can Virgin really provide 150 Mbps ? Sure they advertise it but, some years ago I was paying them for upto 20 Mbps and got 14 if I was lucky and at peak times 0.375 if not lower. Sometimes it was so low I could not even check email ! 

After I promised to take action they admitted they were more than 100% over their 20:1 contention ratio in my area. 

0 Ratings
xxxxSMITHYxxxx
Beginner
Message 6 of 11

Well tbh it dont matter to much but i would like to be able to recive more than 80meg,

And yea with VM u can get around 148-152 as i have got this at my old address.

i will be streaming 4k content + downloading and playing online with multipul people in the house at once

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 11

Netflix and Amazon have stated that you will require no more than 15Mbps to 20Mbps to stream their 4k movies, that would still leave plenty available bandwidth for multiple gamers and downloads on an 80Mbps connection but hey I suppose people will always want more.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

Just wonder how I used to manage with a 14.4K dial-up modem!!!

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 11

@licquorice very true comment how did we manage
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

At the risk of going into Monty Python mode, even that was fast compared to my first modem, 300baud!!!

0 Ratings