cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Richard1986
Message 1 of 5

Canceling my contract.

In February this year I had BT unlimited with vision setup at my home. I never set it up myself nor do i pay the bills. I had a family member set it up in my name because my parents would be charged almost £200 to have it in my mothers name.

My mum don't like to pay for bills using her bank account and likes to pay it via the Post Office. Because of this they send out payment slips. Many of the bills that come in the post have had late payment charges on them. The last bill dated 29th june was £60.20 and I called BT on the 4th july to ask why it was so much. I was told that the payments have been paid late and that i must pay a late payment charge. I was told that if i don't pay the bill by the 7th of july i would have another late payment charge in my next bill.

Because my mum did not get paid untill the week later and BT told me I could not change the date that we get the bills.  I then paid this bill out of my own money on the 6th of july, the day before I was told over the phone to pay by to avoid a late payment charge. I was also told that my next bill would be produced and sent out to me on the 7th of july (over a week ago) but I have not yet received any bill. I have checked the account online to find that the current bill includes the late payment charge but must be paid by the 18th (within 4 days).

I've found that we receive most of the bills over a week after it is dated and within only a few days that it must be paid otherwise we get a late payment charge again. BT has said that they will not change the payment dates as everyone in my area is billed at the same time.

My stepdad wanted to change to BT because he was told it was a better service and easier for him but now they are geting anoyed because of this and want me to change back to sky who I have been with for many years without problems.

My question is because someone esle set up the 18 month contract with BT in my name and other people are paying the bills if I cancel my services with BT would they start hassling and anoying me with calls and more bills for ending the contract?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Canceling my contract.

Welcome to this forum. This is a BT domestic customer to customer help forum, any messages posted here do not go to BT.

If you need to contact BT, you can use Live Chat  or  Contact BT  ,or telephone 0800 800 150

The account holder will be responsible for any charges, and BT will chase them for payment.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 5

@Richard1986 wrote:

My question is because someone esle set up the 18 month contract with BT in my name and other people are paying the bills if I cancel my services with BT would they start hassling and anoying me with calls and more bills for ending the contract? 

Of course they would, unless you could prove that someone had used your name fraudulently, which clearly isn't the case.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
ernie_c
Expert
Message 4 of 5

It's very difficult to have any sympathy for the OP in this situation.

He has allowed his name to be used to enter into a contract, presumeably to get round some credit issue.

Unfortunately, it sounds like the contract and debt is in his name and he will have to deal with this and any resultant effect on his credit history.

0 Ratings
senoj1990
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Yes if the contract is in your name you would be liable to pay any bills and cancellation charges.
0 Ratings