cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Cancellation Charges - No longer in Contract but they want to penalise the account holder

Go to solution

I'm here messaging for friends.  They have BT Vision, Phoneline and Broadband.  Their contract expired long ago and they have no further obligation on the term of their contract.

They have given more than a months notice and been told that to cancel the broadband there is a £30 charge.

Why?

They were told that if they took the service elsewhere then they won't have to pay.  So they're being penalised for not taking the service elsewhere.  How is this fair?  How can BT charge when they're out of contract and are obliged to pay no more but just because they want to cease service entirely they have to pay. 

A few years ago I had a BT account.  The BT vision never turned up and after much deliberation I cancelled it.  I then waited 18 months and then cancelled the broadband and the phoneline.  They also wanted to charge me £30.  I fought and fought and was assured the money would not be taken.  Later that month the took the £30 from my partners bank account.  I no longer had then energy to fight back.  In my eyes they stole from us. 

I'd love to hear from anyone in a similar situation and what happened.  I'd love to hear from BT also and get an explanation.  My friends are moving out.  Two of them are moving into a place where everything is already set up with someone else so they have no need of BT.  I am moving in with one of them to another house and because of my experience I have put the blockade up and won't even consider using BT.  The house we're moving to is set up for Virgin anyway so I'll have to look in to using them.

What advice can I give my friends so that they can not pay this ridiculous charge?

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Patty-L
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 11

Re: Cancellation Charges - No longer in Contract but they want to penalise the account holder

Go to solution

Hello there,  I'm afraid that if you cancel Broadband there is a £30 cancellation fee, whichever ISP you are with.

If they were going to a different provider they could ask for a MAC code and there would be no charge.

It is in the terms and conditions.

Patty-L 

Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 11

Re: Cancellation Charges - No longer in Contract but they want to penalise the account holder

Go to solution
Hi the charge is raised by BT Wholesale for the disconnection of the line from all the exchange equipment and the updating of line records this charge is made by all isps not just BT if broadband is cancelled and no mac code for transfer is used
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution
1) They levy this charge because they can. OFCOM have let them introduce the charge, and later increase it to £30.

2) It's in the Terms and Conditions. "40. When you end your broadband service and do not request and use a migration authorisation code (MAC) or another recognised transfer process to move to another service provider you will have to pay a cease charge of £30. You will not have to pay this charge in the event you are moving home and we are unable to provide the service at the new UK address."
DianeC
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

I have just been charged £187 for cancelling my BT internet connection so thank yourself very lucky you were only hit with a £30 bill. 

I am about to query it but if anyone can shed any additional, similar experiences to the situation I would be greatful to hear of them.

Good luck in settling your issues with them.

DianeC

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

the post you replied to is solved and 15month old

here are the cancellation charges to help you check your figure 

cancellation charges

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
demoiselle
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

Hi Frustratedmuch

You ask if anyone else has had this problem, well I have!!!

I contacted BT to give notice of my leaving them I had a very angry/rude man say that will be £30.00, why I asked, he said thats the fee to cancel, I said it's not mentioned in the contract, therefore it's not payable, unfair terms etc. Angry man asks who was I going to, I said TalkTalk, that was like a red wrag to a bull, angry man then starts to slag off TalkTalk, 'they supply second hand/refurbished routers, they don't give accurate speed data, they have a very poor help centre plus various other remarks regarding TalkTalk, don't want to bore writing it all down, I would say that BT must be very very frightened of competition, this I can understand given the prices they charge, in my case more than £11.00 PM on a like for like basis.

I did report the man,  MrKevin Johnston to BT's complaints department and suggested that he be re-trained and that BT make sure that thier call centre staff are stopped from slagging off other companies.

Needless to say I will now never ever recomend BTto anyone, but will recount this awful so called service.

BTW towards the end of this telephone conversation Mr Angry did advise me that if I got a MAC code from them I would not be charged the unfair £30.00 fee

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution
This link explains the cease fee

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/dynamicmodules/pagecontentfooter/pageContentF...
if you had obtained a MAC Code when you transferred the cease fee would not be charged
0 Ratings
Kerome
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution
I agree it's a ripoff. The whole MAC thing undoubtedly creates much more work for them, and they are just unfairly penalising people who want to leave. It's a totally shameless stealth charge.

The best thing to do is just to obtain a MAC code even if you don't need it.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution
if you obtain a MAC code and do not use it it expires in 30 days the cease fee is raised by BT Wholesale and is charged by all ISP's who use the wholesale network the charge is for disconnection of the line from the exchange broadband equipment
0 Ratings