cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 5

Cancellation Issues

I have just moved out of a shared flat and into another shared flat as a temporary measure. In the old place I used to be the account holder. I was there for just over a year and had an 18month contract for infinity (I was not expecting to have to move out but the owner has sold the building).

I am sure that in my last property I also had an infinity connection and the cancellation of the 2 year contract after about 15months was about £50. This time they want £150 which seems a little unreasonable.

They are pushing me hard to transfer the service and this seems much like a sales ploy. I am very unimpressed with the reaction of the staff at BT who say nothing can be done. They are suggesting I move my connection into the room in the temporary shared flat I am moving to while they already have a service in the house which I will also be sharing payment for. This is totally unreasonable as it makes no sense.

I wonder if there is grounds for being treated differently than a home owner here as these are issues that young renters are likely to face. I am very happy with the service from BT and would transfer it if I could but the circumstances make that impossible.

Do you know of anything I can do under these circumstances.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Cancellation Issues

You are in a contract with BT until its end date. If you want out of the contract you will be charged for the remainder of that contract. That is how contracts work. This is the same for anybody whether they are a home owner or a person in a rental property.

See link for fees.

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/dynamicmodules/pagecontentfooter/pageContentF...

Why should there should be any difference from a person renting a property and that of a home owner. The costs etc to BT are the same and the service provided is the same. Perhaps the answer is that ISP should provide a pay as you go service and charge at a higher rate to cover their costs.

The only options are you either pay the cancellation fees or move the connection as suggested.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 5

Don't beleive what you see in the link, there is a contradiction in the quoted terms, read closely, BT can made " errors" but a customer can't .. Smiley Frustrated

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

@C1Rider wrote:

Don't beleive what you see in the link, there is a contradiction in the quoted terms, read closely, BT can made " errors" but a customer can't .. Smiley Frustrated

Would it not be easier to point out what the contradiction is.

Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 5

It's been pointed out elsewhere on this forum:

"So for example, if you have six months left on your telephone service Unlimited Weekend Plan minimum contract period, you'll have to pay a charge of £5.75 multiplied by six, which is £34.50. "

But there's no pricing plan in the table below where the monthly charge is £5.75.

But you're not going to get them to waive the entire cancellation charge because of a typo in one example.

0 Ratings