Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
michaeljack
Beginner
Message 1 of 23

Cancellation fee moving back to France

Hi everybody,

i'm really angry to discover the way that BT wants to stole me...

They ask me 397.03 pounds of cancellation fee because i really need to leave the UK at the end of the month.

It's unbelievable to see that kind of fee for just stoping broadband, landline and TV (i cannot use the BT vision because of the lack of aerial reception in my area...)...

I can understand that we broke the contract, but, please, just stop stealing people...

They said : "keep all the equipment, we don't want it... "
Is it your conception of ecology ?

What can i do ?

My objective is to send all the equipment to BT, like that, they can use it again (they are pretty new and very good) and have a reduced fee.

What do you think ?

Thanks

0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 23

Re: Cancellation fee moving back to France

If you enter a contract you have to accept all of it.

Don't know what the equipment is, but you might be able to sell it on eBay and get some of your cancellation fee back that way.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 23

you made a contract you have to abide by it or if you break that contract you have to pay to leave
0 Ratings
gizt107
Contributor
Message 4 of 23

On one level pottyperson and john are right - by shoudn't a company show some good wiol to customers? All businesses relie on customer satisfaction and word of mouth don't they. It makes business sense not to leave this person angry. For every person you anger like this, you probably lose somewhere between 5 and 10 new orders.

0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 23

It's a fanciful notion that companies (it's not just BT) could exercise leniency when a customer wants to renege on their contract. If selective judgement was applied there would always be a borderline, resulting in even more resentful customers who were refused in circumstances not much different from others who were allowed. Then there would be demands for an appeals procedure. No, the only realistic policy is to apply the agreement to everyone. It's not only realistic but equitable, though even that is unacceptable to some.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Ectophile
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 23

If a customer is leaving the country, BT have no reason to be helpful to them.  They are losing the customer anyway, so they might as well get as much money as possible in early termination fees.

All the big telephone/broadband suppliers have rubbish customer service - it keeps the price down.  One more unhappy customer isn't going to make much difference.  Especially if that customer is in France.

0 Ratings
gizt107
Contributor
Message 7 of 23

Yes but "BT is respected internationally for its commitment to the principles of Total Quality" according to its Quality Strategy. Within a Total Quality Management approach, one of the most important factors for the success of an enterprise is its customers.

Without them, a business cannot exist. But to capture customers, a business must try to find out what people want, how much and how often they will buy and how their post-purchase satisfaction will be ensured - this is because people talk, blog and influence others.

Even if this guy doesn't come back from France leaving him satisfied makes commercial sense and fits with BT's quality strategy.

0 Ratings
Ectophile
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 23

@gizt107 wrote:

Yes but "BT is respected internationally for its commitment to the principles of Total Quality" according to its Quality Strategy. Within a Total Quality Management approach, one of the most important factors for the success of an enterprise is its customers.

Without them, a business cannot exist. But to capture customers, a business must try to find out what people want, how much and how often they will buy and how their post-purchase satisfaction will be ensured - this is because people talk, blog and influence others.

Even if this guy doesn't come back from France leaving him satisfied makes commercial sense and fits with BT's quality strategy.

That kind of thinking has gone out of fashion.  It started with the low-cost airlines.  Their service is poor, and they add on extra charges at any excuse, but their advertised price is cheap and customers like things cheap.

This attitude has now spread to most consumer-facing bisinesses.  Keep the advertised price down, cut customer service, and if you lose a few disgruntled customers then you will gain some from your competitors who are just as bad.

pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 23

@Ectophile wrote:

That kind of thinking has gone out of fashion.  It started with the low-cost airlines.  Their service is poor, and they add on extra charges at any excuse, but their advertised price is cheap and customers like things cheap.

This attitude has now spread to most consumer-facing bisinesses.  Keep the advertised price down, cut customer service, and if you lose a few disgruntled customers then you will gain some from your competitors who are just as bad.

Spot on. These are the tangible results of the competition that was the linchpin of privatisation from the mid-1980s. 

--
0 Ratings
gizt107
Contributor
Message 10 of 23

But the quote is from BTs current Quality Strategy and it was Total Quality Management that transformed Japanese businesses, from producing 'junk' to being world leaders in the 1980's. 

0 Ratings