cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ectophile
Distinguished Guru
Message 11 of 23

Re: Cancellation fee moving back to France

That's just marketing fluff.  Nobody actually believes it.

Is this document on line?  I just typed "quality strategy" site:bt.com into Google and got one hit - this page.

0 Ratings
gizt107
Contributor
Message 12 of 23

Ectophile wrote:

That kind of thinking has gone out of fashion.  It started with the low-cost airlines.  Their service is poor, and they add on extra charges at any excuse, but their advertised price is cheap and customers like things cheap.

This attitude has now spread to most consumer-facing bisinesses.  Keep the advertised price down, cut customer service, and if you lose a few disgruntled customers then you will gain some from your competitors who are just as bad

Pottyperson wrote:

Spot on. These are the tangible results of the competition that was the linchpin of privatisation from the mid-1980s.

You two have been on this site for so much longer than me and are clearly extremely knowledgeable about the workings of BT. If you argue that the company has little focus on the service to the customer then I guess I should take your word for it. What troubles me is that in my area BT charges 10x the annual fee of another provider - for unlimited broadband at the same average download speed. I wouldn't expect too much in the way of customer service for £30 a year (the price of the cheapest competitor) but for the princely sum of £300 I expect far, far more.

If BT were delivering Infinity for £26 a month (as they are hoping to do I think) then at that point the product will justify the price but charging £26 for unlimited 'slow' broadband is pretty indefenceable.

In terms of the quality strategy, if you want to read  some "marketing fluff" as you call it, see:

http://www2.bt.com/static/i/btretail/consumer/quality/morgan.htm

The opening sentence reads  "Improving customer satisfaction while simultaneously reducing the cost of failure is our number one priority." - I guess you both think that BT not only fail to deliver this but don't really try to?

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 23

@gizt107 wrote:

@Ectophile wrote:

That kind of thinking has gone out of fashion.  It started with the low-cost airlines.  Their service is poor, and they add on extra charges at any excuse, but their advertised price is cheap and customers like things cheap.

This attitude has now spread to most consumer-facing bisinesses.  Keep the advertised price down, cut customer service, and if you lose a few disgruntled customers then you will gain some from your competitors who are just as bad

@pottyperson wrote:

Spot on. These are the tangible results of the competition that was the linchpin of privatisation from the mid-1980s.

You two have been on this site for so much longer than me and are clearly extremely knowledgeable about the workings of BT. If you argue that the company has little focus on the service to the customer then I guess I should take your word for it. What troubles me is that in my area BT charges 10x the annual fee of another provider - for unlimited broadband at the same average download speed. I wouldn't expect too much in the way of customer service for £30 a year (the price of the cheapest competitor) but for the princely sum of £300 I expect far, far more.

If BT were delivering Infinity for £26 a month (as they are hoping to do I think) then at that point the product will justify the price but charging £26 for unlimited 'slow' broadband is pretty indefenceable.

In terms of the quality strategy, if you want to read  some "marketing fluff" as you call it, see:

http://www2.bt.com/static/i/btretail/consumer/quality/morgan.htm

The opening sentence reads  "Improving customer satisfaction while simultaneously reducing the cost of failure is our number one priority." - I guess you both think that BT not only fail to deliver this but don't really try to?

The 7 or 8meg you get is by no means a "slow" connection and it would be very very easy to rack up hundreds of gigs worth of usage buddy.

BT don't charge for speed, the charge for the package benefits such as usage allowance, email accounts, anti virus software, online storage etc.

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
gizt107
Contributor
Message 14 of 23

Speed is important to users though. Internet security cost me £8 for 5 years (Panda) and I can get it free with one of my credit cards, email accounts are generally free .. I'm not sure your argument stacks up to explain the £270 price difference.

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 23

It is you're right, and as I've said 7-8meg is more than adequate for most users.

Think yourself lucky, some people have only .5 of a meg, while some have no broadband access at all.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
gizt107
Contributor
Message 16 of 23

7 - 8 megs isn't that slow but iit is matched by the other providers in my postcode so not a 'selling' point for BT. 

PS I guess by the change in tact you don't think much of BT's commitment to customer care.

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 23

Must. Stop. Feeding the troll!
gizt107
Contributor
Message 18 of 23

Webby - Thanks for the sweet nickname.

You've been on this site alot (almost full time in fact) for the last few months, do you agree with the others that BT probably aren'nt really:

"running our business to deliver a superb customer experience".?

[See prrevious link for the source]

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 23

I can only go off my own experience as a BT customer. I've never had any issues.

What you need to take into consideration is that yes, there does seem to be "lots" of people complaining on here however, BT have over 6.3million broadband customers and something like 15million fixed line customers. So the amount of complaints on here is a very very small representation of customers.

I think BT also have the second lowest number of complaints per 1000 customers out of the "big 4" including talk talk, virgin sky and BT.
0 Ratings
gizt107
Contributor
Message 20 of 23

All I'm saying is that for the money they should be offerring a Rolls Royce service, not competing with a £30 provider.

0 Ratings