Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 17

Cancelling Contract Issues

Hi 

Please can anyone give me sensible advice.

My contract was exipring on 27 May so I called on 17 April and asked for the contract not to be renewed - giving more than 30 days notice. 

I then chatted to BT online asking for confirmation and that I would not be liable to pay any furthur amount after the cancellation. I was told a note has been put on my account which mentions I will not be charged for anything extra.

Today when I logged into My Bt - I see a bill from 28 May - 27 Jun 16

and I have been charged £50.49

You don't need to do anything – we'll take this amount from your bank account on or just after 7 June.

I immediately chatted with BT online - the advisor told me - my account has been closed due to non- payment. This was a surprise as all my last direct debits have gone through without any issues.

She then asked my number to talk as the account was closed cannot see much detail. 

After speaking to her she transferred to the Billing team - the first guy who I spoke to put me on hold and after ten minutes - the call went to a Que again. The second guy said you come to the wrong department and put me through to billing. Finally after waiting for 40 odd minutes I was greeted by the bereavement department. I was a bit shocked as I did not know about this department.

Anyway I explained all the above details to the lady and she gave me two options

To wait for a final bill which would take around 14 days to be sent to me. 

and

1) to cancel the direct debit so that the £50.49 amount is not taken from my account and I would then not to wait for a refund.

2) wait for the amount to be taken and then wait for BT to refund the actual balance.

I am confused by this - should I cancel the Direct Debit ? Will that not equate to non-payment of bill ?

Will this then be reported to the Credit Bureaus?

Can someone advise me please?

Thanks

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 17

Re: Cancelling Contract Issues

If your contract ended on the 27th May, then the 30 day notice would run from 28th May to 27th June. You have to pay BT for that notice period, so your final bill will cover that period, hence the £50.49 which you must pay.

If you are not moving to another broadband provider that uses the Openreach network, then the charge will also include a £31 cease charge. I notice that you mention on your other thread, that you are moving to somewhere there is a connection already, so the cease charge will apply.

If you cancel the direct debit, and not pay any other way, then you may incur extra charges, and BT may pass it onto a debt collection agency.

The fact that the helpdesk say your account has been closed for non-payment, is most likely confusion on their part. The fact that its closed, is what you wanted anyway.

Your final bill, which will be a paper bill, would say something like "sorry you are leaving BT" and would state that its the final bill.

At a guess, it will work out like this - £31 cease charge plus £19.49 to cover line rental and broadband for the month.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 17

This does not make sense at all.  If someones contract runs out on 27th May why should they have to stay another month 'out of contract'?  This is just another way for BT to take money from customers. 

Why can't you give notice on the 27th April and say get lost BT?  The contract has been paid for in full i.e. 12/18/24 months, what is the extra month for other than to steal more from customers?

If the customer cancels completely and does not move to another provider then the cease charge (£31) is within the agreement signed.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 17

@londongirl I'd like to take a look at this for you. Please use the 'contact the mods' link in my forum profile to send in your details, you'll find the link by clicking on my username.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 17

ObOne

When you sign up with BT you are entering into a contract with them. You have a minimum term for the first 12/18 or 24 months depending on what you agreed to.

This minimum term is to cover your line cost, package cost and any agreed discounts and initial cost for equipment. Should you wish to leave during that period you will need to pay cancellation costs, which is usually the cost of the remaining months rental and the cost of any equipment ie Homehub. 

After the minimum term part of your contract ends, you are still in a contract with BT but any discounts you may have had stop and should you decide to leave you will not have any fees to pay except the cease charge if it applies.

Because you are still in a contract with BT, after the minimum term you need to give notice of 30 days if you are going to cease or 14 days if you are moving by an approved method to another ISP. 

There is nothing to stop you informing BT prior to your minimum term end date and avoid what you call 

"another way for BT to take money from customers"  or "the extra month for other than to steal more from customers"

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 17

gg30340

The comment I made was more in response to Keith_Beddoe saying:

'If your contract ended on the 27th May, then the 30 day notice would run from 28th May to 27th June. You have to pay BT for that notice period'

Your statement contradicts this.

If a contract ends on 27th May, can a customer give 30 days notice on 27th April without having to pay for additional line rental and broadband after 27th May?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 17

Yes.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 17

Well londongirl gave 30 days notice on 17th April, so she should have been told to phone back on the 27th April or the cancellation should have went through on the 27th May not the 27th of June.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 17

@davgille7

@davgille7 wrote:
Well londongirl gave 30 days notice on 17th April, so she should have been told to phone back on the 27th April or the cancellation should have went through on the 27th May not the 27th of June.

londongirls problem is being looked at by the forum moderators and the will resolve any problems found

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 17

@davgille7 wrote:

... and that is what the thread is all about and why the moderators have become involved.

0 Ratings