cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SilverWanderer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 16

Re: Cancelling My Contract

I too would like to know exactly what you did to convert. I was annoyed to find I had been tricked. I had returned to BT after trying a competitor. I was told that I would have the benefit of free evening calls as well as weekend. THEY DID NOT SAY THERE WOULD BE A PENALTY FOR LEAVING.
When I found a better deal than BT I was told I would be charged £7.50 for every month remainlng on this 'contract'
I said this was scandalous as the benefit was not worth £7.50 AND I HAD NEVER BEEN INFORMED ABOUT PENALTIES.

The good news is that OFCOM have outlawed exorbitant cancellation fees and imposed a maximum of £2 per month.
0 Ratings
SilverWanderer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 16

The good news is that OFCOM have outlawed exorbitant cancellation fees and imposed a maximum of £2 per month.
Gelfing
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 16

Having the same issue here I sent this to a customer advisor on this forum

'I have just jointed this site with a view to check on some details about rolling contracts.

I picked up on a complaint which you have replied that you would look into it.

I have virtually the same issue, I am moving from BT to Talk talk, mainly due to the price of broadband.

I am being charged with 65.50 due to the rolling contract issue, mine 'expires' July 2011.

In BT's own terms and conditions it clearly states

'We will write to you the month before the renewal date to remind you of this.'

After the call today one of your own customer service personal stated that this years 'letters did not go out.'

As this never happened this clearly this now makes the contract void as BT did not follow its own rules.

I believe that theses contracts have already caused an issue between Ofcom and BT.

Under contract law, both parties must abide by all requirements, in this case BT has not

Unfortunately the advisor was not able to help and asked me to send my issue on to the main advisor through the forum.

I have also found out that OFCOM has informed BT that it must reduce its cancellation charges, so with 9 months left why is it costing me 65.50?

Shall ring tomorrow. 

0 Ratings
SilverWanderer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 16

Maximum permitted by OFCOM is £2 per month.
Do not trust verbals. Demand it in writing.
Then you have grounds for serious complaint.
They record anything you say in case it helps them, but will legally charge you for a CD to prove anything they say that would help you.
0 Ratings
Gelfing
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 16

FOI will cost you £10, for all your information.

0 Ratings
philkershaw
Message 16 of 16

This is only slightly inaccurate but thanks for highlighting it. I found this page which should be of some interest to you all: http://www.ispreview.co.uk/story/2010/06/17/ofcom-uk-slashes-early-phone-and-broadband-isp-contract-...

The maximum for BT accounts is £5 but it does depend on the package you are on. Unfortunately, these charges don't come in until some point this month and I'm trying to cancel at the new rate. Put it this was, I'll take it to ofcom before I pay the £50+ I've been quoted.

Also, as a side note, cancellation notice period is 14 days.

Official post by ofcom: http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/2010/06/cheaper-charges-for-uk-consumers-to-end-phone-contracts/

0 Ratings