cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Cancelling a 2nd line

Hi folks,

Can anyone help answer a question?

Back in the dark days of dial up internet we had a second line put in to the house dedicated to the internet. This line was eventually upgraded to ADSL and as time went by and more computers added there was a bit of home networking done with the router close to the master socket of the second line.

Now there is no need for the second line is it possible to "transfer" the master socket of the second line on to the primary line? If so can I do this myself or does it require a BT engineer (both lines are with BT)?

Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Cancelling a 2nd line

That would need to be done by Openreach, as the master socket is their property. You would be best making sure that you cancel the second line first, then confirm it is not working, before you do anything else.

You should then be able to arrange an "Internal Home Move", which means that your existing line would be re-jumpered in the exchange, and the records amended, so that it re-appears on your second socket.

There is a possibility that this bit could go wrong, so I would be more inclined to run your own internal extension from your existing master socket, to the new location.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 4

Thanks for this you're a star.

Just in addition, would this keep the primary number?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

If you cancel the unused line, then you would lose the number associated with that line. I would do that first, before you take any other action. Make sure that its the number you really want to cancel, otherwise you could lose the wrong one.

Remember to make sure that BT are aware of the fact that there are two lines coming into your house, so  hopefully they wont cancel the wrong one Smiley Sad

If you go ahead with the "Internal Home Move", that is where there is a possibility of things going wrong.

0 Ratings