cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jon_s
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Cancelling my Direct Debit to stop BT billing me for cancelled services?

Hi

I recently switched my BT broadband to O2 (mainly because I wanted an unlimited package and BT was really quite a lot more expensive). Anyway I requested a MAC code and confirmed I was at the end of any contract with BT and it all went really smoothly and Im now with O2. Except BT keep invoicing me for a broadband service obviously that I no longer require or want. I called them the first month and they said the billing would "catch up with itself" and the next month I would get a refund of £18, I also confirmed I didnt have to do anything else to cancel the broadband etc. So this month I get the invoice/bill and no refund but another £18 charge, I phoned again and they claim Im still receiving their service and all the "equipment at the exchange" is still there and its O2s fault for not doing something or other, again theyve assured me that it's all sorted and next month ill get a refund.... now I have no confidence whatsoever that I will get a refund next month but am I within my rights to just cancel my direct debit from my bank account to stop BT from taking anymore money? 

Thanks!

John 

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 9

Re: Cancelling my Direct Debit to stop BT billing me for cancelled services?

You could go further and claim back any overpayments from your bank under the Direct Debit Guarantee.

0 Ratings
michael37
Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Under the terms of the Direct Debit Gurantee to which BT agreed to abide when they entered into the contract you can cancel your DD at any time. The gurantee requires BT to refund all sums they have taken that they are not entitled to immediately. If they do not they have breached the terms of the gurantee and you can ask your bank to enforce the gurantee and taking the money back for you. Do be careful if you go down that road as your bank will not check if you are actually entitled to the cash they are taking back for you and if you are not BT would be able to take action to recover it.

It is possible that cancelling will trigger some automated debt collection procedures on BTs side so you should consider raising a formal complaint with BT at the same time: 

http://www.btplc.com/Thegroup/RegulatoryandPublicaffairs/Codeofpractice/CustomerComplaintsCode/index...

0 Ratings
Community Manager - Retired
Message 4 of 9

Hi John,

If you send in your details we'll be able to get this sorted for you. You can find our "Contact us" link by clicking on my username.

Thanks,

Stephanie
0 Ratings
Jon_s
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

Thanks for taking the time to reply everyone, I have cancelled my direct debit and I have sent my details as instructed, Your enquiry reference number: EDIT: REMOVED.

Cheers! Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 9

Best to remove your reference number as it's private.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Jon_s
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

OK Thanks! removed

0 Ratings
Jon_s
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

Hi Again

I did get a moderator call me up and sort some of the problems out and I set up my direct debit again. So a partial thanks for that! However, I have got this months invoice/bill and it looks like my broadband has finally been cancelled and one of the two £18 owed to me has been refunded but there is also now a £30 cessation charge! I switched by using the MAC process and dont believe I should be paying this, I also have an email transcript of a online communication with BT in which it is clearly stated that I was out of contract and there is no cancellation charge for switching.

Once again I will be cancelling my direct debit.

Can a mod please sort this for me or do I have to fill in another online form?

Cheers

John

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

you need to recontact the mod team using the email link
0 Ratings