After a couple of days of fantastic service, problems have started to appear when I continue to use btinternet. When I revert to btbroadband, it is even worse - bbc.co.uk/news - only shows text, no graphics. Reverted back to btinternet, and things are not perfect.
I'm off on holiday for ten days, I trust someone is going to fix this problem once and for all!
@The login username is irrelevant, as long as it's in the correct format with @btbroadband.com or @btinternet.com. The bit before the @ can be anything, and changing it effectively resets the connection. A power cycle does the same thing.
It sounds like you've managed to pick up stale IP addresses, this normally shows as a website access issue. But the fix is usually a new IP address.
In your case, and others, it seems like something else is the cause, and the thing to do is to try to find a common issue. Things like IP address, device being used, browser in use, security product and anything else! Things like access via wifi or ethernet and if that's an issue.
You've had a new hub, so it's not that, but indicates what is using it. Interference is unlikely due to it being only a couple of sites.
It's clearly not widespread, not that that's any consolation.
No answers to this problem, I regret to say, just another HH4 user intermittently unable to open certain webpages including BBC (News, Points of View, Weather), This Is Money, AOL Webmail and Amazon. This has been happening for several months, but yesterday morning was particularly annoying.
I called the BT helpline but only to be told there might be something wrong with my set-up. There isn't ... it's working fine today and I've changed nothing. The one-size-fits-all email from Libby Barr, saying this isn't a BT problem didn't help much either. My opinion, for what it's worth, is that it is a BT problem and I've no intention of paying yet more money for an individual consultation with the BT service department only to confirm that there's nothing I can do to fix it.
Frankly, I expected better when I signed up for BT Internet.
I'm not alone! I honestly thought that I was the only one with this issue as Google was of no help at all and it isn't really the easiest of problems to describe.
We returned to BT last Thursday (from Sky) and this has been a problem ever since. I quickly discounted it being the line manager, etc. and over the last few days have tried no end of combinations - wifi on, wifi off; ethernet, AirPort, Mac, iPad, Windows phone, old Netgear router, etc. - but no joy. The problem persisted.
Thus far, the websites I've noted are:
bbc.co.uk; cnn.com; dailymail.co.uk; argos.co.uk; cbsnews.com; amazon.co.uk; imdb.com; facebook.com; bt.com
I've used Netshade to createa VPN and, lo and behold, the issue disappears entirely. I've manually changed one iPad to Google DNS and, again, the issue resolves itself.
This happens at random times throughout the day - it could be 9am, it could be 1pm, certainly it's at its worst after 4pm/5pm at night. Usually resolves by about 10pm.
One thing I've noticed from all of the comments above is that everybody is on ADSL. Nobody is on fibre (though I could be mistaken). The question has to be asked - does anybody with Infinity have this problem? I'd love to have fibre optic but the local exchange has been pushed back until next month.
In respect of Traceroute - I tried. The response for the www.bbc.co.uk/news domain was short and to the point:
Traceroute has started…
traceroute: unknown host bbc.co.uk/news
I really hope that BT resolve this issue. I haven't tried changing the username (yet) but we'll see what happens...
@ simonhowe: I'm on Infinity and I have this issue, also a OpenDNS user as well, so its not just confined to ADSL, I also would presume I'm not the only Infinity user affected either, so whatever this issue is doesnt seem to be specific to any type of connection, DNS or area we live in, so have no idea to why we are being affected when many others appear not to be, unless they are not as observant or astute as we all are, who can say
Personally I think theres many more people affected just either not reporting it like we all have been, or either havent really noticed, hope more people will come forward so BT can have as much information as possible to help resolve this issue
@AimeeLW - Curiouser and curiouser (as they say). I do hope that BT resolve this soon. It's becoming a joke.
I tried changing the username to @btinternet.com and it didn't make the blindest bit of difference. I've now changed (manually) the DNS on two iPads, two Macs and a Windows laptop. I dread to think what else I have left to change...!
I was wondering if someone could try this method instead of just changing the domain part of the username:
1. Login to your Hub Manager page
2. Disconnect from broadband and change the username to bt_test_user@startup_domain then press 'Connect'.
3. Leave it connected for at least 1 hour with that name (during this time you will get no web pages at all, as it is connecting directly to the exchange, not the internet)
4. Log back into the Hub Manager page and disconnect, then enter firstname.lastname@example.org as your username and press 'Connect'
This method was used a long time ago in the early days of broadband for when there was a 'bad ip range' which would cause routing issues to various websites. Doing this should mean you get a completelty new external ip address instead of maybe one within the same range.
I'm not sure if this will provide a longer term solution, (but it's worth a try!) since some people have found just changing the domain part has either not worked, or only worked for a short period of time.
Having same issues. Cannot access some forums at the moment or any of the BBC websites including iPlayer page.
A VPN might fix the issue.
I'm guessing it's some sort of filtering system that is messing up.
Still can't connect to any of the BBC pages.