cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 6

Cannot change my BT ID email as it's linked to a suspended account?

Hello, I had issues creating a BT ID with a BT email, so instead tried a secondary email account that I'm in the process of getting rid of due to the influx of spam mail it recieves. I created the account and linked it to my phone+broadband account without any issues, however on attempting to change my email to my primary address, a message was displayed informing me that the email was already linked to an existing BT ID (had I been told this during sign-up I wouldn't have created a second BT ID.. Smiley Sad )

I spoke to a live chat advisor about deleting one of the IDs to enable me to use my primary email address and due to the fact I'd already linked my new ID with my account, we settled on deleting the ID with my main primary email address that had remained unlinked to any accounts at the time, to release that email from use, if that makes sense?

The advisor deleted the other ID, making it 'suspended' however I'm still not able to use the email address I want to because it still classes as being linked to an 'existing account'.

I've since spoken to another advisor who advised me to speak to the business team via live chat, however they deal with business accounts, which mine is not. Please can anyone advise me what I can do as I am quite against having my BT ID linked to an address that I'm about to close soon. Smiley Sad

Many thanks in advance!!

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Cannot change my BT ID email as it's linked to a suspended account?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 6

Sorry John, I should probably clarify, my message above was a bit waffle-y!!

I have TWO BT ID's, both of which I have access to, I haven't forgotten my email/passwords etc.

I have my phone bill linked to my 'main' ID with an inactive email address, I wish to change the email address to my active one, but of course the active email address was already linked to my 'spare' BT ID so I couldn't use it.

I spoke to a live chat advisor who talked with me about deactivating my 'spare' ID so I could use that active email address with my 'main' BT ID - but the spare ID was only suspended and not entirely wiped.

So I still can't use my only active email address with the BT ID that's linked to my phone bills because I still get told the email is 'already linked to an existing ID' - even though the existing ID has been suspended.

I've now been told by another advisor to seek assistance from the business team, however my account is a home account and they don't deal with non-business users.

I'm really lost at what else I can do, and working regular long night shifts means I really struggle to be awake during business hours to phone them. Woman Surprised

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 6

Can anyone offer any advice? All I want to do is change my BT ID to a different email - but it won't let me! Woman Sad

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

I have notified the moderators of the forum about your problem. Once they have read this they may be able to help. They are a BT UK based team and if they can help they will reply via this thread asking you to contact them via a link. They are very busy at present so once you have replied to them by the link, it can take 48 hours for them to re-contact you.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 6

Hi @Patchwork_Existence Sorry you are having difficulty with this change to your BTID.

We will be happy to help you with this if you send us your details. You can contact us by clicking on my user name and selecting contact the mods.

Thanks
John

0 Ratings