Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bcutts
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Cannot change wifi settings on smart hub without changing the password

Hi,

I'm having problems with the wifi on my BT Smart Hub and want to set it to separate bands.  However when I do this and click save, the system then says I cannot save the settings as the new wifi password is the same as the original one supplied by BT.  But I'm not changing the password.  How can I make a change to the wifi settings and save it without changing the passowrd?

Thanks

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Cannot change wifi settings on smart hub without changing the password

Is it saying that it is the wireless password being the same or the admin password. The admin password, the one you used to enter the settings, must be changed from the original BT one.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10990/~/how-can-i-set-up-or-change-the-admin-password...

0 Ratings
bcutts
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Unfortunately that isn't the problem. I have already changed the default admin password to something different. The displayed wifi password is the original wifi password for the router not the default admin password. 

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

Try entering a new password, save it then go back in and re-enter the original passkey on the Smarthub's label. Obviously you will lose wireless connection to any wireless devices when you put in the "new" password but it should be restored when you re-enter the "old" passkey. 

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14110/?s_intcid=con_sanda:Hubhub:L1:Smart_Hub:L2:chan...

0 Ratings
bcutts
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

So I've tried that and yes I can change the password to something different but then I cannot change it back again since, as per the original issue, you cannot select a password for the wifi which is the same as the password supplied on the plastic tag attached to the modem.

Looks like a bug to me unless you have any other ideas.  I've already tried a reset to default for the modem and trying to make the change before restoring my backed up settings but same problem, see here:

Screen Shot 2016-11-20 at 16.47.58.png

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

I don't have a Smarthub so can't try changing the settings to see if there is anything else you could try.

It would appear that it is a "built in security" feature to stop any one obtaining the details from the label and accessing the hub after you have changed the settings.

Seems odd though that if you don't change the settings, the security details that are on display can be obtained and used to access the hub. Typical flawed logic from BT.

0 Ratings
Dippu
Expert
Message 7 of 9

@bcutts wrote:

So I've tried that and yes I can change the password to something different but then I cannot change it back again since, as per the original issue, you cannot select a password for the wifi which is the same as the password supplied on the plastic tag attached to the modem.

Looks like a bug to me unless you have any other ideas.  I've already tried a reset to default for the modem and trying to make the change before restoring my backed up settings but same problem, see here:

Screen Shot 2016-11-20 at 16.47.58.png

Check this thread out. https://community.bt.com/t5/Connected-Devices-Other/Software-updated-tonight-and-all-seems-well/m-p/...

Some hubs seem to exhibit this issue after the firmware update.

0 Ratings
bcutts
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

Thanks Dippu, that seems to point to what the issue is.

So it looks like BT have introduced a bug (sorry, undocumented feature) which means that I'm going to have to change it and then change all the devices which have connected using the old password and it looks from the thread you pointed me to that this in itself will not be a painless process.

Not sure if the move from SKY to BT was such a good idea in hindsight. I'm still having issues with my BT Vision internet channels breaking up rather badly, but that's another story.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

I would be more inclined to buy a third party VDSL Modem/router and bin the HH6. If you get this problem resolved no doubt the next software update will bring along some other problem. At least with a third party router you can choose if and when to install any software updates.

0 Ratings