cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 13

Cannot connect to Broadband/ False Unpaid Bill

Hi, I'll start by saying I have an engineer coming to visit tomorrow but just wanted to know if anyone else had experienced similar issues? I had infinity installed last Thursday (27/6/13) and it was working fine. I went away for the weekend on Friday morning only returning this afternoon. When I tried to login to wifi I got a message automatically pop up saying "important bt announcement' click for details etc, anyway I clicked on the link and it basically said I had been cut off for not paying the bill? I called BT billing who confirmed this was NOT the case and they said this was a technical fault, I was passed to technical fault team who made me do numerous resets to no avail. I'd like to add at this point all lights were lit on the openreach modem and the hub 4 was blue. Since I stopped talking to the technical team and accepted the engineer visit for tomorrow I have noticed that my hub is now flashing red for no broadband and the modem has no DSL light showing? Is this a fairly common thing to happen by falsely stating people haven't paid a bill and a hub/modem seemingly dying as a cause? Any help and advice much appreciated!
0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Cannot connect to Broadband/ False Unpaid Bill

i have never heard of this happening before unless the bill is unpaid the hub and modem have not died just in that case showing they are disconnected
Highlighted
Message 3 of 13

Thanks for your answer, I find this very strange. BT billing even admitted the bill was only composed today so it is impossible that I have somehow defaulted on this. I find it odd that if indeed the modem/hub have died that I'd receive such a message anyway? I shall await what the engineer says I guess and go from there.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 4 of 13

@nilsj73 wrote:
When I tried to login to wifi I got a message automatically pop up saying "important bt announcement' click for details etc, anyway I clicked on the link and it basically said I had been cut off for not paying the bill? 

People will be able to help you a lot better if you tell us what was ACTUALLY said, now what you understood it "basically' meant and if you clarify which WiFi you were tryng to log-in to. The only place online BT are likely to send a message about bills is the My BT portal on bt.com.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 13

@ MartinH

a screen is displayed as a web page when service is suspended to advise you to pay after that service is blocked as has happened to the OP although in his case incorrectly
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 13

Sorry, I'm not much of a 'techie' so I'll explain as best as I can. I basically switched my laptop on to use it, I opened up Internet explorer and the welcoming page was a BT announcement saying that due to a problem with my broadband I had been disconnected, there was a link for further info which I clicked on, this said I had been cut off for not paying my bill? I rang the billing team who said this was not the case and it must be a technical issue. The faults made me do approx 3 resets of home hub 4 and also turn the modem off. At this point the "unpaid bill/ error" page had disappeared but I couldn't connect to the Internet. The faults team said they could see an error but didn't tell me what. After speaking to them I tried one last time to try connect to the Internet, at this point another message came up saying i needed to reset my homehub password? There was a recommended option for doing this so I clicked on that, from this moment the hub 4 and modem have completely conked out. Other information that may be useful is that my modem is on the carpeted floor, it was never attached to the wall and does seem quite hot. I have noticed from other users that some of their broadband stopped after the modem got overheated so not sure if this has played a part potentially?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 7 of 13

@john46 wrote:
@ MartinH

a screen is displayed as a web page when service is suspended to advise you to pay after that service is blocked as has happened to the OP although in his case incorrectly

Fair enough on the notice page but I standby my other comment - people can help a lot better if others take the time to post facts and not assumptions and understandings. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 13

there is nothing wrong with your hub or modem it is because the service has been suspended until they can resolve the problem the hub and modem lights will display as they are get back to billing and get them to resolve the problem
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 9 of 13

Just an update, the openreach engineer arrived this morning and it would appear i achieved the grand slam of mishaps.

1). He confirmed that i had been cutoff by BT (still don't know the reasons why, Billing were extremely shifty, it seems a mistake was made by someone.)

2). After being transferred to the Faults dept yesterday it would seem that the resets that they instructed me to do caused my Hub 4 and Modem to un-sync and couldn't reconect no matter what he did. The engineer confirmed that this was the first instance he'd seen of this happening with Hub 4 and now fears there will be many of these coming, so be warned!

3). The modem which was placed on the floor was as hot as a cooker and possibly also adding to any issues - the engineers terminology.

So to summarise, he got me first of all reconnected, has replaced my Hub 4 with a Hub 3 and also a new modem. So far it is working like a dream and nearly twice as quick as the one day i previously had my infinity available!

Thanks @john46 and to those that helped as much as they could with the limited info i could supply!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 13

Did he take the HH4 away?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings