cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
papersteel
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Cannot find BT master socket to test broadband

House is less than 18months old and had all phone sockets installed prior to moving in as first occupants. BT line connected after 2weeks. Engineer did not enter house. Now have problem with broadband and have been told I need to connect the router to the BT master socket for test purposes but cannot find one! All internal sockets are standard phone sockets.

BT line comes up from ground outside on front wall near door in a BT 'Openreach' box which is a flip-down, secured by a screw. On opening this the BTincoming  connection is sealed, then there is a plug, which if removed disconnects the internal lines. Then there is a connector to which the blue/white/orange leads coming out from through wall from inside the house (white covered cable) are connected. The other side of this wall is underneath the built-in kitchen units and has no master socket anywhere.

Have been banging my head trying to explain to ISP that I cannot connect to a master socket as cant find one. Should I have one or is the outside box all I get? If so, how do I connect the computer to the (6 pin) socket outside?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
peterwt
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: Cannot find BT master socket to test broadband

New build properties are now being fitted with a new Network Terminating Equipment box, the XNTE, instead of the previous NTE5 master socket. This is fitted outside the property and BT responsibility ends at the XNTE. This is the box you referred to with the flip-down cover. It contains all the master socket components. The socket in the XNTE is a BT test point and requires a special plug - it is for BT use only.

In order to eliminate your internal wiring you would need to connect a standard slave socket at the XNTE in place of the white covered cable. Make a note of the way the existing cable is connected. The official connections are pin 2 - Blue, 3 - Brown, 4 - green, 5 - Orange.

See http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/networkinfo/developnetwork/downloads/Builders_Guide_3_1.pdf

Peter
0 Ratings
a_rad
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 7

An external NTE like the one here - http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/btsockets.htm ? Won't be a master socket as such and no test socket that the end-user can fidde with.

Edit: snap

Half Man Half Biscuit - Joy Division Oven Gloves - Save 6
0 Ratings
papersteel
Beginner
Message 4 of 7

Thanks for information and help.

Does this means I can only test the line from ouside the house, i.e. plug in router/fiter etc outside?  Should the builders have installed a 'master' type test sockect inside, at say the first socket into the house? I dont really want to replace this socket as it is  flush mounted (and brushed alluminium of course!) Could I disconnect the wiring here and fit a temporary socket for test purposes?

Sorry for all the questions but this is really getting frustrating as our neighbour, who has identical house built at same time has no problem getting around 3Mbps download whereas our line, when not dropping out completely can only achieve around .2Mbps (222Kbps) and I need to prove it is not our internal wiring at fault.

Incidently. anything to be gained by diconnecting the orange 'bell wire' at the XNTE to see if this has any effect?

Thanks

0 Ratings
a_rad
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 7

No way for end users to access the test socket. Interesting discussion here regarding wiring etc.. You can install any type socket you like, it's your property, external nte clear demarcation point between BT's gear and yours.

Half Man Half Biscuit - Joy Division Oven Gloves - Save 6
0 Ratings
Ethomson2002
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

What happened in the end - I have same issue did you fit the master socket yourself or did BT install it?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

This post is 5 years old and the poster has not been back since then so a reply is very unlikely
0 Ratings