Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gw1ll1ams
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 28

Cannot get FTTP despite 2 fibre poles doing nothing in my street

Go to solution

Hi, 

I am at my wits end trying to get FTTP from BT at my address and wonder if anyone from BT can help me here.   About 4 months ago, 2 new fibre poles were installed (one opposite my front room window) and the green manifolds installed on the poles and advised by Superfast Cornwall that all the work was done and my ready for service date was 30th June.    I have been checking the Wholesale ADLS checker since 30th June (my advised ready for service date) and the checker and BT.com simply state Infinity or Fibre is not available.  

What makes matters worse that there is a new fibre pole installed in the row of houses behind me that still has the large coil of fibre looped at the top of that pole. If I put in a door number and postcode for the houses where this pole sits it says FTTP up to 330 is available despite the build on it not even finished.  

I have rung the FTTP Sales line and they raised an issue into Openreach about 5 weeks ago and still nothing. I have rung them again since and they said "Just grab an Engineer if you see one working in the street to find out whats going on".  Superfast Cornwall team have now disbanded and dont reply to enquiries as the Cornwall Project has completed.   I also raised a new enquire via the formwize on Openreach and they haven't bothered to respond neither.  

To say I am frustrated is an understatement.

0 Ratings
27 REPLIES 27
gw1ll1ams
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 28

Re: Cannot get FTTP despite 2 fibre poles doing nothing in my street

Go to solution

Here are the results from my Wholesale ADSL checker. 

My BT line:

Check1.jpg

Address check on another door number in the street:

check2.jpg

0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 3 of 28

Go to solution

Hi gw1ll1ams,

Please use the 'contact the mods' link in my forum profile under the 'about me' section to send in your details. You can find the link by clicking on my username.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
gw1ll1ams
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 28

Go to solution

Thanks NeilO.

I have submitted my details to the mods.

Regards

Garry. 

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 28

Go to solution
The forum mods normally reply within 3/5 working days after you have contacted them via their contact form
They will contact you personally by email or phone.

0 Ratings
gw1ll1ams
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 28

Go to solution

Thanks john46.  Fingers crossed they can uncover a small nugget of hope for me.  

0 Ratings
gw1ll1ams
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 28

Go to solution

I've had a reply from BT on this that I feel is slightly incorrect in their response.   BT have investigated my request and found that I am on an "Exchange Only Line" which I dont believe to be true. 

About 12 months ago I had a repeating fault on my copper line where the speeds were constantly dropping. I had to have 3 boost engineers out to fix the problem, that resulted on me having a new drop wire from the house to the DP, and the 3rd engineer who came out (who finally fixed the problem) said he changed the pair routing inside my local cabinet to a new empty pair as the fault was still present at the local cabinet meaning the issue was somewhere between the exchange and the cabinet.

My question is that if I am supposedly on an exchange only line why did the engineer who came out last year state I was rejumpered at my local cabinet and was originally told by the Superfast Cornwall Project, Via BT Openreach I can have FTTP from 30th June.  The WS ADSL checker also states my line is served by Cabinet 11. And most importantly I know I am in an FTTP catchment area as the poles are here so why does my PCP Cabinet having any bearing here. 

Sorry to seem doubtful but is there any other line of questioning here I can follow up?

Here is BT's response:

Ref **Edited**

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. We are really sorry, but having investigated our network data, we aren’t currently able to supply you with a fibre broadband service. We appreciate this is disappointing news.

As you may know, we normally provide fibre via a green cabinet that you see by the road side. Unfortunately you fall into a small proportion of homes and businesses that are served directly by your local exchange, by what we call an ‘exchange only line’. This means that our normal way of connecting you won’t work, however we are busy working on solutions to make this viable in the future.

We are building new network to much more people all the time, it has only been a few years since we started delivering our new fibre services and we can already reach 21 million households. We believe this is the fastest roll- out of this type anywhere in the world. We are also continuing to build on this in conjunction with the Government who have an ambition to reach as many residents in the UK as possible in the coming few years.

We appreciate that this is of little comfort if you cannot access the network yourself. However, as part of the ambition to reach as many people as possible, we are continually looking at new ways to deliver fibre services to those who currently cannot receive it.

So this is not the end of the story for you. It’s worth keeping an eye on our website, it’s where we publish the very latest fibre coverage information which will include the use of new technologies and we update it weekly.

Thank you again for taking the time to write to us and although I appreciate this is not the answer you are looking for, I hope it can help you understand that we have a real commitment to delivering superfast broadband to the people and businesses of Britain. I am sorry that we have not yet been able to provide you with this service.

Our fibre to the home team are currently monitoring what happens in your area and will contact you when the area is updated and ready for the FTTP service to your premises. It will mean you and many others having to wait a little longer until the installation is complete. Please remember we here at BT Retail are a Communications provider and not a Wholesaler so have no say in the roll out of this service or the time scale attached to same.

Please keep an eye on what's happening and as advised you will be contacted when the time is right.

No further action is required at this time.

Have a good weekend

0 Ratings
SuperSajuuk
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 28

Go to solution
Is that reply from Openreach or the mods? Sounds like something Openreach would send. If FTTP work has been done for your area, you should have no trouble ordering the service.
0 Ratings
gw1ll1ams
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 28

Go to solution

The response came from a THD Care Advisor so looks like from BT Consumer but I agree - this looks like a stock Openreach response probably sent to them. 

I am stumped as to why they say via their website my cabinet is under review yet I 100% know I am here in a FTTP area and also why I cannot upgrade to Fibre to the Cabinet when I am trying to order FTTP.

The work has been done, I was advised of this by the Superfast Cornwall programme before the 1st phase ended.  I can't follow up with them now as when I raise a query with them it goes nowhere as the admin team have all been disbanded.

The poles are here just empty doing nothing.  One of them is more or less directly outside of my front door (1st Picture).  All green manifolds, DP numbers etc are all on them.  Yet OR still state I can't upgrade as cannot have FTTC Smiley Mad

20150811_115248.jpg20150811_115300.jpg

0 Ratings
gw1ll1ams
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 28

Go to solution

The really frustrating thing is according the Openreach where and when for my address or phone number  - the cabinet is still under review.

Screen Shot 2015-08-11 at 15.16.37.png

Yet if i change the door number - EXACTLY the same street FTTP is available which is what makes this so frustrating.  I really believe that Openreach and therefore Wholesale hold incorrect details about my line and routing that is causing this issue. 

Screen Shot 2015-08-11 at 15.17.54.png

0 Ratings