cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Raceylady
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Cannot get fibre

I have been trying to get fibre ever since our exchange was enabled June 2016 16 months ago. At that time 2 cabinets were upgraded out of the 7 in my area now it has come to a full stop, and have been i formed by Openreach that my cabinet will not be upgraded its commercially not viable.

i would like to know what they consider as being not commercially viable, I am on Flax Bourton exchange and cabinet 4 which is one of the main cabinets in my area and has approximately 540 connections, or premises attached to it. I would have thought that would qualify. Since the exchange upgrade openreach have only covered about one quarter of the village so why bother upgrading the exchange f they have no pkans to upgrade the cabinets. The remaining 5 cabinets will not be upgraded. There about 2200 premise here, and to rub salt in the wound they put fibre to the premises to a small housing estate just round the corner of about 80 houses which was built over 10 years ago and no plzns for the rest of us, and they are also on cabinet 4.

One cabinet they uograded  No 3 is one of the smaller ones with very few connections and the fibre cabinet is tiny the smallest they have, where is the sense?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Cannot get fibre

I’m not sure on the exact formula but t will be something like;

Average take up fibre to the cab services from a cabinet (which is about 30%), multiplied by the annual rental that will generate for Openreach, multiplied by their ROI timescale (in years).

If the value doesn’t fit within their business model, they won’t upgrade.

Say you have a small cabinet that only serves 100 people. Average takeup would put it at 30 customers generating something like £70 a year for Openreach (yes that’s all they get from your broadband bill). Times that by say 8 years, would be £700 per customer, or a total of around £17000 in revenue. They’ll then pay tax on that, plus will factor in a percentage for repairs, replacemebt kit etc.

The average cost of upgrading a cab is around £24,000, some considerably more if getting to the power to the cabinet is difficult.

As you can see, sometimes the sums just don’t add up. Openreach Have a responsibility to their shareholders to generate profit for the business and their investment.

Other times if Virgin serve some of the streets a cabinet also serves, then Openreach know they’re unlikely to get much business from those who already have high speed internet.

The other cabinet that has been upgraded may have been co-funded by the residents served by it.

Look up Openreach’s community funded partnership scheme.

Have you spoken to the council to see if they have any plans under the BDUK scheme?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 8

Check out here https://www.connectingdevonandsomerset.co.uk
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

CDS has been told by a number of telecoms companies that they have plans to invest across our intervention area.

According to our records your property is either currently, or planned to be, covered through one of these private sector investments by the end of 2019. As such, we are not able to invest public money in your area under European Commission State Aid rules
0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

That was using one of the postcodes on your cabinet, BS48 3LS
0 Ratings
Raceylady
Beginner
Message 6 of 8

Thanks Webby for your help. I have a,ready had detailed discussions with CDS the funding scheme for this area is Virgin which already exists in the village but only covers the centre core, on the main streets. CDS ceased funding for Openreach in March this year.

lot of the side streets do not have pavements so only solution would be OR network. I have contacted our Parish Council which is qutte strong that all I can do. Just come across a brick wall as I cannot see the logic of upgrading the exchange in the village and then not supplying the fibre.

0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 7 of 8

Upgrading exchanges to fibre is all part of the long term plan to extend FTTP as far as reasonably possible. The actualy fibre

has been there for years under project Collossus.

The majority of Collossus is black (i.e. unused) as government investment was halted years ago to allow other companies to compete with BT and provide competition.

That's worked out well. FTTP coverage could've been a reality years ago.

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

Community funding is likely your only option for the foreseeable.

Speak with neighbours and see if you could drum up enough interest.

You’d only need to raise half the monies required, with Openreach paying the other half.
0 Ratings