Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Cannot opt out of BT Wi-Fi with FON

Hello,

I plugged my new HUB 5 in the day it was delivered (9/4/14) even though I was still on ADSL and all worked fine.

I noticed that the default BT Wi-fi Status was set to 'Active' and sure enough my hub was transmitting the BT Wi-Fi with FON SSID so off I popped to the BT website and opted out. The following day, BT Wi-Fi with FON had vanished.

Two days later I was activated for Infinity and noticed that BT Wi-fi Status was set to 'Active' again, so off I popped to the BT website again but even though my hub was transmitting the BT Wi-Fi with FON SSID, my status said 'Opted Out'.

So, I opted in and then imidiately opted out again. Two days later and I am still waiting for the service to turn off.

Usually opting out takes approximately 24 hours and happens overnight but this is over 48 hours now and it's still active. Anything else I can try?

Cheers,

Paul.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Cannot opt out of BT Wi-Fi with FON

There is apparently a bug in the HH5 which even although you have opted out of BTWifi it still transmitts the signal however you can not log onto it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 5

I have a similar issue with BT Fon!

I didn't opt in and when I try to opt out, it tells me I'm not even registered???? How is this possible if BT Fon has already opted me in???

Also concerned that since I discovered this I keep getting an unsecured wireless connection message and my hub will turn itself on and off whenever it feels like it.

Help anyone???

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

All new BT customers are Opted in to BTWifi. See link

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11000/related/1

To opt out or use BTWif you need to use your primary BT email address and password. This might not be the same as your BTID. See link

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12958/~/how-do-i-opt-out-of-bt-wi-fi%3F

BTWifi is an unsecured wireless connection hence the reason you will be getting a warning.

When you are using wireless at home you should be logging onto your home network not BTWifi. Your home network is a secured connection and will be something like Homehub5-xxxx. In order to log onto that you need to use the wireless passkey that is found on the lable of the homehub

See link

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9692/related/1

As regards your homehub turning itself off and on, this is a separate problem. You should post that problem on the

Other Broadband Queries  giving full details of type of homehub and what is happening.

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Thank you very much gg30340 the links were extremely helpful!

I always log on using my home network and I've gone through all the security checks, so I'm still a little confused as to why the unsecured message came up. Maybe just a minor glitch in the system?

Thanks again! Smiley Happy

0 Ratings