cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Cannot recieve new Emails on Samsung Galaxy SIII Mini since Webmail Outage.......

Go to solution

Hi,

Since the Webmail issues last week, I am unable to recieve new Emails.

Outlook is fine, but on the Samsung Galaxy SIII Mini Smartphone I can send, but not recieve.

I have already tried changing the BT password, and have also deleted, then recreated the Email account on the smartphone what must be about 8 times now & every time it, will load in the most recent 100 emails (as specified in my settings), but after that when I attempt to refresh/resync it, the disc at the top right spins for a while, then stops, like its not making a connection - any ideas would be appreciated as I am tearing my hair out!

BT Tech help line were useless, saying they dont support third party devices & terminated the call without any warning when i insisted that this was to do with the Webmail issues last week & not my phone as everything was okay up to then, was not impressed - am seriously considering swithing providers if the issue isnt resolved.

Thanks & any help help would be appreciated - soooo frustrating!

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Cannot recieve new Emails on Samsung Galaxy SIII Mini since Webmail Outage.......

Go to solution

I have an S3 mini too and don't have any problems at home using the LAN. I'll check next time I'm out using a different connection.

Incoming:
POP3 mail.btinternet.com
SSL
Port 995

Out:
SMTP mail.btinternet.com
SSL

"Require sign-in" box ticked

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Re: Cannot recieve new Emails on Samsung Galaxy SIII Mini since Webmail Outage.......

Go to solution

OK. I went out and found myself logged into a BT Hotspot - I have the BT Wifi app, and it normally just finds a signal and logs in just like that. Checked in Settings ....."Connected". But it appeared to be not connected because there was no communication - no emails downloading today's mail, no Send possible, no Firefox browsing - just a quarter of the progress bar when searching for a site, then it froze.

Disengaged the Wifi. So just Mobile Data was on, and all worked fine - emails were downloaded, I successfully sent a test eamil to myself, and quickly reached several websites.

God I hate these machines and their software sometimes.

So have you tried switching off Wifi? Just Mobile Data.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

Hi, thanks for the reply.  Should have said that my settings were:

Incoming:

POP3 mail.btinternet.com

Security: None

Port 110

Out:

SMTP mail.btinternet.com

Security: None

"Require sign-in" box ticked

I have changed to the seetings you suggest now - initilally when changing to 995, phone says locating & then saying unable to find server, continue?  So clicked continue.

Anyway changed settings & still cannot recieve - I have sent a test message which was recieved on Webmail & outlook, but not smartphone.

Can i ask what the difference is between these settings?

Same result though unfortunately 😞

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

Hi - thanks for the reply.

I havn't tried mobile data yet, I deactivated it previously as it was eating into my data allowance with backround data.

Even if this works, does this mean though I have to go forward unable to use Wi-Fi for Email?

Also bear in mind, I can send, just not recieve.  I could understand if it were all or nothing, but why one & not the other?

This all since the issues with the **bleep** BT Email last week - was never any problems up until weds last week.....

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Hi - I took the 'Restrict background data' off so i could search when Wi-Fi wasnt on, but still the disc spins at top right & returns nothing - something doesnt appear to be connecting, although it does on initial setup of the email account on the phone......

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

@CloneRanger wrote:

Can i ask what the difference is between these settings?

I regret that I do not know. I just follow the advice. I think when I first acquired this notsosmartanditreallypissesmeoffsometimesphone it merely asked me for my email address or something and set the rest up automatically. It didn't ask if I wanted  POP3 or IMAP. Or am I thinking of the procedure that the Samsung Note 10.1 ran? Maybe they both did that.

Anyway, I am not geeky enough to give any reliable advice and technical insight here. I think I changed those default settings to those that I posted above so that when we are migrated there just might be no problems. This seems to be the recommended page:

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44917/c/346/related/1

Hope that helps.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

@CloneRanger wrote:

Hi - thanks for the reply.

I havn't tried mobile data yet, I deactivated it previously as it was eating into my data allowance with backround data.

Even if this works, does this mean though I have to go forward unable to use Wi-Fi for Email?

Also bear in mind, I can send, just not recieve.  I could understand if it were all or nothing, but why one & not the other?

This all since the issues with the **bleep** BT Email last week - was never any problems up until weds last week.....

Hmm... maybe i'll try switching off Mobile data and see if it works over the Home Wifi. Then when I get the chance, I'll try away from home and do the same. I'm not geeky enough to know what happens if one has both Wifi and Mobile Data on when away from home which one the dumbassphone selects, and if it switches between the two every n nanoseconds to find the fastest speed to access the mail servers.

I don't worry about Mobile Data being on all the time because that's the deal I'm on, and I don't do that much surfing/downloading/viewing of data-hungry stuff anyway.

I hope someone with more skill can jump in here. Anyway, I'll experiment and report back. It's a bit of learning for me.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks for looking into this.

The weird thing is if I delete some off some older Emails at the bottom of the Emails list, it loads up historical emails (I have a limit of 200 for my smartphone inbox) - but it just will not pull in any new emails since the account was re-loaded?!

Is there some POP setting / filter on the BT site preventing any new Emails since the account was added back, being pulled through?

Is there a Moderator in the house?! 

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

It looks like the problem has resolved itself last night - I was charging the phone & when i checked it, it had the Email recived icon at the top left.

When i opened up Email, lo & behold I had 187 of them, all dated since the last time the account was reset.

I had done nothing myself to the phone for a few days, so am guessing something clicked/was reset at BT's end of things?

Took well ove a week & a half to get this resolved though - was serioiusly considering changing over to Virgin Media!

The IT callcentre was useless - BT, if you are reading this, please bring the IT callcentre back to the UK, so we can talk to people we can understand and aren't reading from scripts like robots! 

0 Ratings