cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Cannot send email

My wife and I have been having problems with btinternet mail for some weeks – whereby we usually (but not consistently receive emails) but OFTEN cannot send emails from our Outlook accounts. Various different reasons are given in the dialogue box. We have changed passwords on many occasions and I KNOW my config settings are correct and have been for years – SO I can only assume the problem is at the ISP end (substantiated by recent unavailable website! What concerns me is – I do not see an end to this (wasting my time!) and every time it fails – the messages imply the problem lies at the user end (but rarely has!) – and then eventually miraculously – it works again! I use POP3 not IMAP (laptop) - is this OK? Incoming & outgoing server names are correct - mail.btinternet.com. Outgoing server authentication - ticked. I am thinking about giving up and moving to Gmail!
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Cannot send email

This problem has been going on for years, it just comes and goes and nothing gets done about it. Not much help I'm  afraid, just consolation that you aren't being singled out.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 8

Thank God I am not the only one!  Randomly I will get the message, 'The user or password for xxxx@btinternet.com is incorrest',  which is complete rubbish.  However, when I get this message I cannot send any emails. Is no one trying to sort out this issue, which appears to have being going on for a very long time?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

If you get the wrong password message you can often clear it by logging onto your email account via webmail.

https://signin1.bt.com/login/emailloginform

and then trying your email client.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

Tried it many times and receiving is Ok but not sending.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 8

The problem was usually intermittent NOW it is almost permanent. Very frustrating!
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 8

Same problem here, and no idea how to deal with it. My settings are all correct, but I've been unable to send from my btinternet.com account all day.

ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ
I started out with nothing and I still got most of it left

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 8

same here for at least a week now - no solution from with MS or BT in sight. I get no error messages - indeed the email shows as 'sent' in outlook but nobody gets the emails. I am using a different email address via outlook without any problems. Sending an email via btinternet from my mobile phone works = does this means its the SMTP server? I dont know - I have posted similar elsewhere on here - yesterday.

I do not think it is Outlook - i think the problem is deep in BT

0 Ratings