Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bdc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 14

Cannot send emails when on holiday

Go to solution

I can receive emails and access the internet but cannot send emails.

I use Outlook 2010.

I have followed all the advice from both BT and MS and synch incoming and outgoing emails but still no good.

Everything is fine when back home.

Advice please

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: Cannot send emails when on holiday

Go to solution

Try changing out going port to 587. Some ISP won't let you use port 25 failing that use webmail.

0 Ratings
bdc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 14

Go to solution

Thanks for such a quick reply.

Webmail is no good when trying to reply to emails which require an attachment from my computer.

Can I use port 587 for all outgoing or just when away from my home hub - currently outgoing mail is on port 25??

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 14

Go to solution

It should be OK for all out going but if a problem it is easy enough to change back.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 14

Go to solution

@bdc wrote:

Thanks for such a quick reply.

Webmail is no good when trying to reply to emails which require an attachment from my computer.

Can I use port 587 for all outgoing or just when away from my home hub - currently outgoing mail is on port 25??

You can add attachments from webmail.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 14

Go to solution

As gg said, you can stay with port 587. For what it's worth, port 25 failed on my laptop ages ago and won't work on my Android phone. 587 is fine on both.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 14

Go to solution

@bdc wrote:

I can receive emails and access the internet but cannot send emails.

I use Outlook 2010.

I have followed all the advice from both BT and MS and synch incoming and outgoing emails but still no good.

Everything is fine when back home.

Advice please

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

If you're on holiday, then typically the internet connection will be a different ISP, and hence you may not be able to use mail.btinternet.com since BTinternet may block access if not using a BT connection.

Changing the smtp settings to that of the connected ISP would also mean setting other items as the BTinternet email address wont be recognised.

Unless port 587 works with perhaps setting SSL/TLS in the settings, then the best option is webmail.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 14

Go to solution

I have used email in a few countries including USA, Canada and in Europe and apart from changing the port to 587 I have never had to change any other settings.

IanC
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 14

Go to solution

@Andy_N wrote:
If you're on holiday, then typically the internet connection will be a different ISP, and hence you may not be able to use mail.btinternet.com since BTinternet may block access if not using a BT connection.
Last time I tried that (a while ago, admittedly) BT didn't do that.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 14

Go to solution

@gg30340 wrote:

I have used email in a few countries including USA, Canada and in Europe and apart from changing the port to 587 I have never had to change any other settings.

Hi (and to Ian).

Thanks for the update guys. I'm sure port 587 would work in most cases, as did using smtp.mail.yahoo.co.uk as the server - both "home" and away.

It does sometime depend on how the mail client wizard (or user) sets up the account details - or the information they've found etc.