cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alex-a
Beginner
Message 1 of 20

Cannot set 2nd SmartTalk user - BT Smart Talk is no longer promoted & to be discontinued?

Go to solution

Hello,

Long story short - I could not set up 2nd SmartTalk user for my account (I did follow the published procedure https://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44031/~/how-do-i-register-additional-bt-smarttalk-us..., it failed twice at step 6 -"BT number is already in use"), raised a complaint, a support person called me same day (today, Sunday 22/10) just to tell me following:

1/ additional user signups not supported but SmartTalk users already set up will continue to work

2/ BT SmartTalk app is no longer promoted

3/ there is no replacement product

Could the mods please confirm whether this is true?

Shame, BT Smart Talk is a great service (but the app could be better).

Thanks
Alex

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 20

Re: Cannot set 2nd SmartTalk user - BT Smart Talk is no longer promoted & to be discontinued?

Go to solution

Welcome to this user forum.

Not sure if the process is very clear, but this may help to explain it.

BT SmartTalk issues

This also applies if you add another user, they must create a new BT ID for their phone.

In the BT instructions it mentions this very important point.

4. If the additional user doesn’t have their own unique BT ID, they’ll need to create one by selecting Create a BT ID. Additional users must sign up on their own smartphone.

0 Ratings
alex-a
Beginner
Message 3 of 20

Re: Cannot set 2nd SmartTalk user - BT Smart Talk is no longer promoted & to be discontinued?

Go to solution

Hello,

Yes, I created 2 new BT IDs in the process, this is step 4 - I am good at following instructions.

Now these new BT IDs are orphaned.

Mods, could You please confirm/deny whether BT Smart Talk is actually accepting 2nd and subsequent users, or better help me create a 2nd BT SmartTalk user?

Many thanks

Alex

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 20

Go to solution

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

0 Ratings
DavidM
Message 5 of 20

Go to solution

Hi @alex-a and thanks for posting.

Sorry there's been some confusion with this. Are you trying to set up Smart Talk using the same number?

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
alex-a
Beginner
Message 6 of 20

Go to solution

Hello,

I already have BT Smart Talk on my iphone 6 with UK mobile number, works great for last 3 years.

I am trying to add 2nd SmartTalk user to my wife Android phone. She has a different UK mobile number, of course.

Both myself and my wife have a landline phone service with BT with single landline number and had it for last 10+ years.

I see the published procedure on "how to add additional BT Smart Talk user" failing on step 6 every single time - I tried twice.

I did create two new unique BT ID by following the published procedure twice (this is step 4 in published procedure).

I hope this clarifies.

Thanks
Alex

0 Ratings
DavidM
Message 7 of 20

Go to solution

Thanks for clarifying that @alex-a.

Can you please drop me over an email with your details and I'll look into this for you. You'll get the contact the moderators link in my profile.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
alex-a
Beginner
Message 8 of 20

Go to solution
Thanks very much, David, I filled the contact form for You with all details.
The enquiry reference number: 171023-00****
0 Ratings
JohnC2
Message 9 of 20

Go to solution

Hi @alex-a The Smart Talk team have advised that they have been in touch with you and resolved this issue. 

Can you post back and confirm if this issue has been sorted?

cheers

John

0 Ratings
alex-a
Beginner
Message 10 of 20

Go to solution

Hello,

No, it is not resolved.

Basically, what happened is:

1/ I mentioned I had the BT Smart Talk user in my name on my iphone 6 for a while and works great.

2/ before I set it BT Smart Talk on my iphone 6, I had it on another Android phone which I used before but recently gave to my wife after I bought said iphone6 a while ago.

3/ I used this procedure https://community.bt.com/t5/Apps-from-BT/BT-SMART-TALK-APP-Do-NOT-Uninstall-Reinstall-APP-Without/td... to migrate BT Smart Talk from Android to iphone, it worked back then WHEN "Block user" worked via "My BT" web interface.

4/ sometime AFTER this procedure https://community.bt.com/t5/Apps-from-BT/BT-SMART-TALK-APP-Do-NOT-Uninstall-Reinstall-APP-Without/td... stopped working (because "Block user" is no longer working through "My BT" web interface), my wife's (ex-mine) Android phone that previously had "BT Smart Talk" app, can no longer accept a new BT ID . This device errors out at step 6 of this procedure http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44031/~/how-do-i-register-additional-bt-smarttalk-use... when punching in the LANDLINE phone number with error "MOBILE phone is already in use...". I cannot explain  WHY this happens even when I haven't even got to inputting the MOBILE phone number.

5/ I can only explain such behaviour that BT Smart Talk app somehow writes the previously used MOBILE phone number deep into device memory and it is there even if the BT Smart Talk user has been migrated away, SIM card changed and BT Smart Talk app removed - all as as descrbed in https://community.bt.com/t5/Apps-from-BT/BT-SMART-TALK-APP-Do-NOT-Uninstall-Reinstall-APP-Without/td...

6/ I proved the above by installing BT Smart Talk app to my ipad 4 where I never had the BT Smart Talk app before (I know it is not supported on ipads but it installs fine) and I could use the new BT ID with same LANDLINE but different MOBILE numbers.

7/ Since my wife does not want to carry ipad4 just for BT Smart Talk, I am trying to find out how I can force BT Smart Talk installation to her (ex-mine) Android phone that is still tied to my mobile even through it has a different SIM card. I could not fnd a supported way to do that and I am REMOVING the BT Smart Talk from my account to see it it can wipe out all previous associations with my mobile number and start afresh.

Thanks

Alex

0 Ratings